Newbie in honeymoon...

artyfarty30

Hi All,

I thought I would update you on my progress and seek some advice too.
I was diagnosed with Type 1 just over 2 weeks ago and was put on Novamix twice a day with metformin. This week my insulin dosage has been 4units before breakfast and 2 units before evening meal. However, I was having hypos' at night and I was overcompensating for low BG level before bedtime by over-eating.
I went to see my DN yesterday who told me to stop taking insulin in the evening and eat more carbs to prevent the 2 mild hypos I had at work in the morning. I changed my breakfast from 2 slices of toast and scrambled egg to 2 Oatibix biscuits and a banana (BG level after 2 hours was 7.1). The dietitian this morning told me to further increase the carbs I eat at lunchtime (a tub of pasta to double quantity, 2 slices of bread with soup instead of 1, beans and toast or cheese on toast????!!) I'm struggling to eat so many carbs, my suggestion was to lower my morning insulin by 1 unit but they weren't too impressed as I was told my BG levels were good.

My weight is 50.6Kg (just under 8 stones) and I'm 5ft 4 ins. I lost nearly a stone before diagnosis.

So what do you guys reckon, carry on eating high intake of carbs until my next appointment with the DN next week or lower my insulin? :?:

artyfarty30

...sorry, forgot to write that the foods mentioned for lunchtime meal was alternative midday meals I can have at work made by the dietitian!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Personally I wouldn't want to eat more than I wanted so would be inclined to reduce the morning dose to 3 and test to see if this resolves your 'mild hypos'.

Keep a record of all the carbs you eat, bg readings and insulin doses and show this to your DN next week.....good luck! :)

wsmum

You could ask about basal/bolus too, as you just eat what you like then and give yourself enough insulin to cover the carbs. It involves working out a carb:insulin ratio but your DN must have done some sums to work out your current dose, so that shouldn't be a problem.