Hello :)

Krazi

Hello :)

I'm new here and am looking for info, guidance and advice during my pregnancy. I', 32 and currently 23 weeks pregnant. I had my GTT at 12w due to a previous GD pregnancy and have been on metformin and insulin since. Rising at every appointment it would seem. No matter how much I restrict my diet, my levels keep rising. atm I am on

breakfast - 8 units of rapid - 500mg metformin
lunch - 6 units of rapid
tea - 4 units of rapid - 500mg metformin
bed - 14 units of slow.

Not sure if that is a lot or little compared to other ladies but it is a worry that every time the cons ups my meds my levels rise too. For breakfast the last 2 mornings I switched to recommended special K... yesterdays reading was 10.3, today reading was 11.8. This is a pattern that will follow until my cons ups my insulin then it will drop back to 7/8's and steadily rise until he ups it again :/ I am starting to get stressed as I've no idea why the insulin isnt controlling my levels even though my cons said that at 20weeks it should level out and stop rising so fast :S

anyway, I guess thats enough of an OP lol. Hope you are all well and enjoyed your christmas xx

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

There aren' that many ladies with GD on the forum at the moment and I'm a T2. From reading posts about GD in the past it seems that your insulin requirements will increase as the baby grows. Posts by a user called the_anticarb who had her baby in February may be good to read through.

All the best.

Krazi

Thank you for taking the time to reply Denise, much appreciated. I will search the username and have a read. Thanks again xx

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hey Krazi

I've just posted a message on this board re low gi breakfasts then noticed your post. I think the GI ("glycemic index") of food basically means how long it takes your body to convert the carbs to glucose. Low GI takes a long time whereas high GI is much faster. Generally, the more a food is processed the higher the GI will be, so things like breakfast cereals are all pretty high and cause a lot of us post-breakfast spikes.

hope that helps
Cleo x

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And which dumb *ss advised you to eat a bowl of sugar for breakfast? Honestly, I dispair at some HCP's. Krazi, you have done the best thing by coming to the forum. Read as much as you can and ask as many questions as you need.
Don't rely on other people to control your diabetes. You are on a steep and very fast learning curve.
We're with you.

wiflib

carbman

And which dumb *ss advised you to eat a bowl of sugar for breakfast? Honestly, I dispair at some HCP's. Krazi, you have done the best thing by coming to the forum. Read as much as you can and ask as many questions as you need.
Don't rely on other people to control your diabetes. You are on a steep and very fast learning curve.
We're with you.

wiflib

Sugar exists in many forms. Bread, pasta, cereals all these foods change into sugar very quickly. Look around this forum. The answers are here.

Fallenstar

Hi Krazi
Insulin levels will increase as baby grows, so try not to worry about this. I found huge increases in my insulin needs in the third trimester when the baby is laying down weight....lots of lows in the first trimester...second not too bad :lol:

A few good breakfast ideas for you would be, scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast with a grilled tomato , porridge with berries, Granola is a good one.
With these generic boxed cereals you may aswell eat the cardboard box nutrition wise, also they are packed full of sugar.

Hope everything goes A OK for both you and baby :D

Krazi

cleo82 said:
Hey Krazi

I've just posted a message on this board re low gi breakfasts then noticed your post. I think the GI ("glycemic index") of food basically means how long it takes your body to convert the carbs to glucose. Low GI takes a long time whereas high GI is much faster. Generally, the more a food is processed the higher the GI will be, so things like breakfast cereals are all pretty high and cause a lot of us post-breakfast spikes.

hope that helps
Cleo x

Thank you Cleo x

Krazi

wiflib said:
We're with you.

wiflib

Thank you wiflib. Its all so confusing! My insulin levels are upped again and I cant seem to get below a 12 postbreakfast so am considering switching to an omelette or something really low carbwise even though my dietician said I NEED carbs with every meal ? If I have carbs at breakfast though I get high readings. Are they really that important?

Krazi

Thank you carbman.

Fallenstar said:
Hi Krazi
Insulin levels will increase as baby grows, so try not to worry about this. I found huge increases in my insulin needs in the third trimester when the baby is laying down weight....lots of lows in the first trimester...second not too bad :lol:

A few good breakfast ideas for you would be, scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast with a grilled tomato , porridge with berries, Granola is a good one.
With these generic boxed cereals you may aswell eat the cardboard box nutrition wise, also they are packed full of sugar.

Hope everything goes A OK for both you and baby :D

Thank you Fallenstar, as above I'm going to just try an omelette this week. My only problem is getting up early enough to inject insulin half an hour before breakfast when I'm a single parent with a school run to do at 815am lol. x

Meg2009Arm

Hi

I'm a type 2 who was diagnosed at 28 weeks pregnant alomost four years ago now. I had the same problem and through most of my prgnancy had to keep 'upping' my insulin just to keep up with rising BS levels. It is scary but don't worry to much, I find wholemeal toast (1 slice) and a poached egg or two is quite good. I worried about my baby through my pregnancy but she was absolutely fine and came out a healthy 8.1lbs. Unfortunatley the diabetes didn't go away but I gather for many it does. Fingers crossed for you. x