Kidney issues, NAFLD, thyroid, cholesterol and diabetes, what to eat now?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The dosage by weight system for Levothyroxine is a very rough starter rule of thumb, and a bit like starting people on rapid action insulin being advise to carb count at 1 unit bolus per 10gr of carb. Like insulin doses, actual requirements can be very different.

Based on my weight, my dose should be c80 mcgr per day. On that, my thyroid performance was still degrading. 150mcgr still didn't stem the decline.

I am now on 125mcgr Levothyroxine, plus 50 mcgr Liothyronine per day and just about holding steady. It has taken since March 2018 to reach this point.

Many, many, MANY of those living with hypothyroidism live their lives under medicate.
Yes, I must admit I was surprised when I read that about weight and BMI being the dosage markers. It implies that if your metabolism slows then you get fatter, and if you burn off the fat then it is because your metabolism is faster. I would question the wisdom of this. It is too simplistic. Intuitively it should be the delta change in the markers for a start. And maybe should include girth as a contributor marker. Maybe use lean body mass instead. It just seems wrong. Just to save some money on measuring T3 and T4.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I must admit I was surprised when I read that about weight and BMI being the dosage markers. It implies that if your metabolism slows then you get fatter, and if you burn off the fat then it is because your metabolism is faster. I would question the wisdom of this. It is too simplistic. Intuitively it should be the delta change in the markers for a start. And maybe should include girth as a contributor marker. Maybe use lean body mass instead. It just seems wrong. Just to save some money on measuring T3 and T4.

If there was a simple formula, they'd use it, but it is incredibly individual, and like diabetes, there are many, many reasons for it, but the common trail in hypothyroidism is the hormones being "off", like diabetes were the blood glucose numbers are "off".