Overnight blood sugar rise

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

It's a nightmare isn't it! It's only through having the Libre for the last 2 months that I've been really bothered by it. I don't work so I don't have a regular breakfast time so I am able to work round the morning high When I wake i scan and take my Lantus and Novorapid, and I take the dose for my breakfast along with the correction amount and by the time I have had a shower and got dressed my level is normal before I eat. I really don't want to change the routine of shower then breakfast...and this seems to work because as you say, I don't want to eat on a high of 12, 14 while waiting for my level to go down. If I did that I would be too high for too long, which seems to be how I was without my knowledge because by the time I finger pricked at lunch my level was normal! Amazing how little I knew about how my sugar was doing between finger pricks. Do you take Lantus? Getting the right dose of that overnight is a minefield too...they say test at 3am to see if it is ok, well yes at 3 it is, but it shoots up after that!! Good luck, if you find a way of managing it, please let me know!

Reactions: JMoli

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

It's a nightmare isn't it! It's only through having the Libre for the last 2 months that I've been really bothered by it. I don't work so I don't have a regular breakfast time so I am able to work round the morning high When I wake i scan and take my Lantus and Novorapid, and I take the dose for my breakfast along with the correction amount and by the time I have had a shower and got dressed my level is normal before I eat. I really don't want to change the routine of shower then breakfast...and this seems to work because as you say, I don't want to eat on a high of 12, 14 while waiting for my level to go down. If I did that I would be too high for too long, which seems to be how I was without my knowledge because by the time I finger pricked at lunch my level was normal! Amazing how little I knew about how my sugar was doing between finger pricks. Do you take Lantus? Getting the right dose of that overnight is a minefield too...they say test at 3am to see if it is ok, well yes at 3 it is, but it shoots up after that!! Good luck, if you find a way of managing it, please let me know!

It’s such a balancing act! The libres great for seeing what sneakiness our bloods are up to through the night isn’t it. I don’t want to set an alarm as I have sleep anxiety and don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of insomnia again so I’ll just have to experiment with timings in the morning. I take Tresiba which was great for a year and a half, quite steady through the night, until this dawn phenomenon thing started. I’m wondering if it’s all to do with the perimenopause as my hormones are a bit of a mess. That’s good you’ve worked out shower and food timings. So far an hour pre-bolus for my toast is working ok (used to be 30 minutes) but can’t work out the morning shower timing as hot water makes me go high. Ugh. If I stumble upon anything that works I’ll let you know x

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It’s such a balancing act! The libres great for seeing what sneakiness our bloods are up to through the night isn’t it. I don’t want to set an alarm as I have sleep anxiety and don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of insomnia again so I’ll just have to experiment with timings in the morning. I take Tresiba which was great for a year and a half, quite steady through the night, until this dawn phenomenon thing started. I’m wondering if it’s all to do with the perimenopause as my hormones are a bit of a mess. That’s good you’ve worked out shower and food timings. So far an hour pre-bolus for my toast is working ok (used to be 30 minutes) but can’t work out the morning shower timing as hot water makes me go high. Ugh. If I stumble upon anything that works I’ll let you know x

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I know what you mean about not wanting to interrupt sleep, there is no way I will wake myself up at 4 or 5am to inject because the sleep interruption would do me more harm than a few hours raised sugar!! As for the menopause, well I am 55 and have gone through it, thankfully no real issued except I found that I had to really reduce my Lantus dose, almost by half so I would say it definitely plays a part. The joys of having diabetes!