Insulin pumps and sex!!

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Hi everyone!

Haven't posted for a while, but for anyone who has read my posts before, I have now been successfully attached to my insulin pump for five weeks with very few problems- I'm so happy! :D

I actually had my pump induction in September, but was having HUGE problems with bubbles, to the extent that I ended up with sky high sugars and ketones on numerous occasions :sick:

This forum was very helpful on giving laods of advice on dealing with bubble issues, so thank you all who contributed. As it turned out, I had actually been fitted with a faulty pump that was letting in air!! Now on the new pump, life is so different already!

Anyway, back to the subject of this post...I am very comfortable already with my pump, and do not have a p[roblem with being attached to a device 24/7. however, I was wondering what your experiences have been of other people's reactions to seeing you connected to a pump for the first time?

I should imagine if you are in a trusting relationship, when you get fitted with an insulin pump you get used to it together. But I do not know what it would be like to be starting a new relationship and how someone would react seeing the pump and tubing?

xxx

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am lucky that I'm happily married but even my husband and I found it awkward to adjust to the pump in the early days. My brother is totally grossed out by even the thought of it though and he is fine with seeing the pump as long as he doesn't have to see the set.

I guess it's one of those things where everyone is different. While on MDI I had a five year relationship with a needle phobic who couldn't stand seeing any of my needles, let alone me inject myself. Still we managed to make our relationship last :lol: I always found new partners appreciated being warned about my injections as they could prepare themselves. If I was single I would warn/explain about the pump and wait to be asked to show the cannula part.

If an insulin pump puts someone off a relationship then I guess they weren't worth it in the first place!!

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Thanks MushyPeaBrain for your wise words :)

That all makes a lot of sense, if someone can't cope with seeing my insulin pump, or think it is a passion-killer then they probably aren't the right person for me!

I think now I can see myself with a pump long-term it just got me thinking about what other people's reactions would be, but only time will tell..!

xxx

noaddedsugar

Hey,
I have been on the pump now for 3 years and I have not had any problems in this area at all.
I think if you just explain to people what it is then they in my experience are fine with it.

Depending on what your comfortable with I tend to unclip mine before and then just reclip it back on, think everyone finds there own way which you will yourself with time.

:D
xx

rasik500

I have no problem I unhook it and hook it approx i hour interval with approx 1 unit and when finished love making session ( 4 -5 hours ) reconnect it do blood test and adjust if required and back to normal :D

sugar2

:shock: 4 - 5 Hrs...i must be doing something wrong!

i am happliy married and my hubby has no problem with my pump. i di have a boyfriend who hated teh smell of insulin once though..he had to go!

I caught my 3 year old son looking at a lady in the swimming room changing room the other week. I told him not to stare..and he turned to me and said..." but where is that Mummy's pump?" Bless!

fraser89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had a pump for 6 years and have been in a relationship with the same man since before i was given it so we got used to it together too, finding unclipping it helped to not get tubing caught as well.

we meet new people who are always curious about the pump and ask so many questions about how it works i just explain its like a canula in my tum to administrate my insulin 24/7 unless i state otherwise, and they are then all interested to see what it looks like, i know my mum's husband wont even think about it cos medical things freak him out but most people seem accepting that its a part of me, if they cant accept it or at least deal with it its not worth it.