Readings after takeaway

Johosephat

Having been diagnosed in Jan this year, initially I tested my blood glucose daily until it fell to a reasonable level shortly after I started metformin. Since then I have not tested myself. I was a max of 24 before settling around 6.

Today I had a kebab and decided to test my blood glucose. I had a large lamb donner with yoghurt and chilli sauce. I didn't have the pitta and instead used a Carbzone low carb wrap.

Before dinner I was at 4.8. One hour after eating I was at 5.9, and two hours after eating I was at 5.3. I assume this means it's OK to have this meal again (aside from the v high fat content).

Has anyone else found any takeaway options which surprisingly didn't cause too much of a rise in blood glucose? If so, care to share the readings? I'd be keen to expand my takeaway options going forward. The other takeaway I've had is an Indian meal. After recommendations on this forum I avoided the sauces, but didn't test myself.

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm always wary of the sauces rather than the meals themselves. Looks like you struck lucky!

Ian.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
aside from the v high fat content)
Nothing wrong with fat although I ted to go for chicken skewers rather than the "elephants foot" kebab these days.

As for Indian I'd usually go for a chicken tikka main course (or 2) with a veg curry, something like spinach, mushroom or aubergine although I haven't had one for ages.

Chinese I usually go for crispy duck but leave the pancakes and sweet sauce on the plate.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else found any takeaway options which surprisingly didn't cause too much of a rise in blood glucose?
Why did you expect your meal to spike you?
Sounds like a pretty low carb meal to me, no matter if you cooked it in your own kitchen or bought it as a take away.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I take the lid off a chicken pie that does not give me much of a spike, it's within my tolerances.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been diagnosed in Jan this year, initially I tested my blood glucose daily until it fell to a reasonable level shortly after I started metformin. Since then I have not tested myself. I was a max of 24 before settling around 6.

Today I had a kebab and decided to test my blood glucose. I had a large lamb donner with yoghurt and chilli sauce. I didn't have the pitta and instead used a Carbzone low carb wrap.

Before dinner I was at 4.8. One hour after eating I was at 5.9, and two hours after eating I was at 5.3. I assume this means it's OK to have this meal again (aside from the v high fat content).

Has anyone else found any takeaway options which surprisingly didn't cause too much of a rise in blood glucose? If so, care to share the readings? I'd be keen to expand my takeaway options going forward. The other takeaway I've had is an Indian meal. After recommendations on this forum I avoided the sauces, but didn't test myself.
It's 7:10 AM, and having read this I want a kebab! Oh, what have you done??
The sweet chilli sauce seems to be the biggest hurdle so how's this??
There are other recipes too which may be better / more appropriate.
The 'powdered sweetener' is the only question mark for me, in other words not having the sweetener overpower the taste.

Reactions: Johosephat

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many takeaways contain a lot of fat which will slow down the absorption of the carbs. It is possible that your peak came later than 2 hours.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah. I didn't know that. If I have it again I'll test at further intervals.

Pizza effect, dead cat bounce, whatever you call it, that 2 hour maxim comes from the 75g OGTT which has no relation to real world eating. I caught a good one on my CGM trial with a fish supper.

debaucery-png.51606

So if I test @ 1hour & I'm nearly in the 4s, I'm a happy bunny.
If I test @ 2 hours, I'm back in the 6s & in a bad humor for the night.

This is where the CGM data is so powerful
Eating large meals where you can be grazing on fats/proteins/carbs over an extended timespan is a complex animal.

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had beef & mushroom from the chinese on Sunday. Obviously eschewed the rice, chips, naad...etc but still hit a spike of 13mmol/l. A bit of research suggested that chinese takeaways often use carb-heavy cornstarch to thicken the sauce.

Lesson learned!

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
(Almost entirely veggie here)

I've found that I can quite happily tolerate onion bhajis and chick pea dishes in general from Indian take away food. I have also developed a decided taste for saag panir (spinach and cheese). Those are now my go to dishes from the nice local place that delivers here.

I can't cope with the fried cheese things from the pizza place though - I tried them and they do not play nicely with my numbers.

I am Very Happy Indeed that I can still have onion bhajis though :)

Reactions: Johosephat

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chinese takeaway I tend to go for Salt & chili ribs (dry) crispy seaweed and occasionally hot & sour soup. Indian, some kind of mixed grill (Tikka, kebabs, Tandoori) and salad. Chicken kebab (from the rotisserie) with chili sauce I seem to do ok with KFC (real meat not the burgers, popcorn chicken etc)