Non Cardio Exercise

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi everyone, I bit the bullet last week & joined a gym. I've has 2 cardio exercise classes, reduced insulin via pump by 45%, one class more successful than the other; one non hypo & one hypo. I'm wanting to try a thighs, bums & tums toning class & a yoga class next. Does anyone have experience of how this type of exercise affected their BG? Question could be answered by all T1'S, pump & non pump users.
Thanks in advance.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I bit the bullet last week & joined a gym. I've has 2 cardio exercise classes, reduced insulin via pump by 45%, one class more successful than the other; one non hypo & one hypo. I'm wanting to try a thighs, bums & tums toning class & a yoga class next. Does anyone have experience of how this type of exercise affected their BG? Question could be answered by all T1'S, pump & non pump users.
Thanks in advance.
Yoga can obviously vary massively but I find the sessions I do tend to lower my blood sugars by a small amount for a long period of time (few hours min) which is actually quite handy for controlling peaks I know are coming (like peak of a large meal).

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Yoga can obviously vary massively but I find the sessions I do tend to lower my blood sugars by a small amount for a long period of time (few hours min) which is actually quite handy for controlling peaks I know are coming (like peak of a large meal).
This is good to know. I know I'll just need to give it a go, just didn't want to reduce insulin too much & end up with massive high leaving me feeling rotten. Thanks for info.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks in advance.
Pumper and a PT but I'd say it is individual.
LBT classes can be a little bit cardiovascular as they will have light weights and high repetitions so go with the cardio strategy for now then see what happens.....
Higher weights may produce a cortisol response e.g. rise in bg.
Yoga should be more neutral unless its hot yoga in which case insulin will work quicker!!!!

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Pumper and a PT but I'd say it is individual.
LBT classes can be a little bit cardiovascular as they will have light weights and high repetitions so go with the cardio strategy for now then see what happens.....
Higher weights may produce a cortisol response e.g. rise in bg.
Yoga should be more neutral unless its hot yoga in which case insulin will work quicker!!!!
Thanks Nicole, will go with the 45% reduction initially for the LBT session, see how it goes & adjust for next time if need be. Don't think it's hot yoga but will reduce insulin a bit. Let's see if I can actually stand up or move in the next few days, lol. Thanks for your support. PS take my hat off to you being a pumper & a PT, respect!

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Absolutely love Yoga but I think it de stresses me more than anything - which is a good thing

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Absolutely love Yoga but I think it de stresses me more than anything - which is a good thing
I'm looking forward to giving it a go, have heard that the young coach is a bit of a contortionist, I'll be in agony, lol.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I'm looking forward to giving it a go, have heard that the young coach is a bit of a contortionist, I'll be in agony, lol.
I does hurt but the body gets used to it - love it when my back cracks, feel I can walk with an upright posture instead of my hairdressers hunch :hilarious:

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Added complication is depending on the time of the day I can either exercise and minimal BG impact - or I have to start stuffing crunchie bars and jelly babies down me even with minimal insulin on board. I now do most exercise in the morning because the novelty of stuffing sugar down myself wore off quickly

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Added complication is depending on the time of the day I can either exercise and minimal BG impact - or I have to start stuffing crunchie bars and jelly babies down me even with minimal insulin on board. I now do most exercise in the morning because the novelty of stuffing sugar down myself wore off quickly
Good point. I tend to be lower later in the day but on a pump I can dial down my hourly dose as can the OP.
You can also use a bolus wizard to reduce your bolus dose pre exercise by a set percentage (only works if you are doing this exercise fairly close to the bolus event). Splitting your basal and timing the wearing off of the dose with your natural going low time may work but is tricky.
Overall doing the exercise without the crunchies seems like a better idea for teeth and waistline. As you say being forced to do something to stay upright isn't as fun as having a little afterwards..