Couple of trivial Libre points - swabs and 14 days

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm just about to fix a new sensor, and I usually use the first alcohol swab to clean my arm and put the second one into reserve.

However several times the first one I open has been dry.
Never both, strangely.
Has anyone else hit this?

Enabling a new sensor.
Using the LibreLink App when one sensor runs out it will immediately start the new sensor, but you then wait for an hour before the sensor can be used.
I haven't worked out yet if that first hour is part of your 14 days, or if the 14 days starts after one hour.
I keep forgetting to check.
IIRC there is always a gap in the sensor readings.
Does this mean that each day when you start the new sensor, the timer starts an hour later?
If so, what happens when this drifts into night time?
I must do a more detailed check!!!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Regarding alcohol swabs, given Abbott have withdrawn these, whatever your experience has been will soon be irrelevant. I haven't used the swabs for over a year and don't miss them. The important thing is to check that your arm (or wherever you intend to place the sensor) is clean, dry and grease-free. This is particularly important if you use moisturiser or a shower gel with moisturiser in it.
If you want to continue to use the swabs, you will need to buy them yourself. I have read they are pretty inexpensive and can be purchased from Amazon or eBay.

Regarding when the 14 days runs out, I believe the "start up" time is included. I have never ended up changing my sensor in the early hours of the morning and have been Libre-ing for few years.
You will definitely see a gap in the data as the sensor is not collecting as soon as you start it - it will be doing some calibration before data collecting.

If you are inserting your new sensor on the same day as you activate it, remember that it may be off for the first couple of days as your body gets used to it. It is common to apply the new sensor in the "other arm" a couple of days early so you have an active sensor in one arm and one yet to be started in the other arm. This gives your body a chance to familiarise itself with the sensor before your 14 days start.

Reactions: GuidingSenses

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My sensor's have always finished at the same time, so no danger of it changing by an hour each sensor change thankfully. The gap in readings is the one hour start up time.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just about to fix a new sensor, and I usually use the first alcohol swab to clean my arm and put the second one into reserve.

However several times the first one I open has been dry.
Never both, strangely.
Has anyone else hit this?

Oddly enough, my habits with these wipes in the box (when they were provided by Abbott.) were simalar to yours.
I had a few saved?
So when they stopped packing them in the kit, I used the spares till I could sourse some more..
I had 2 sachets left. & the first one was bone dry. The second attached was fine..

I did a brief spell for a company packaging resins in a simalar way to these alcohol wipe sachets. (I won't bore you regarding the method used..)
The odd one my not have been airtight?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So far my Libre 2 have come with the wipes.
Just ordered another batch see we shall see what is in them.

Lisa69free

I've not had any in the 2 I've opened but they are only cheap from a chemist. I've just cleaned area and patted dry

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just realised why my times for starting a new sensor are drifting, after I missed the end of the previous sensor.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe in the interest of hygiene we should continue to use the spirit swabs, not only to disinfect but also to clean the skin of any dirt or oils. Same reason would apply after removal of the sensor.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe in the interest of hygiene we should continue to use the spirit swabs, not only to disinfect but also to clean the skin of any dirt or oils. Same reason would apply after removal of the sensor.

My Diabetes Nurse disagrees. She said our own skin is perfectly capable of dealing with any germs or bacteria, providing of course we practice normal hygiene. I don't bother using the wipes.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Diabetes Nurse disagrees. She said our own skin is perfectly capable of dealing with any germs or bacteria, providing of course we practice normal hygiene. I don't bother using the wipes.
I think it’s common practice for nurses to use swabs before administering flue jabs etc. or taking blood samples.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not in my area it's not. Not been used at drs or hospital for years.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it’s common practice for nurses to use swabs before administering flue jabs etc. or taking blood samples.

It is, and I'm not saying they shouldn't as they are in a medical setting and would have to. I'm only referring to sitting in your own house about to apply a sensor or jab.

bishee12

I have just received my first couple of sensors. I haven’t monitored my levels before. The sensors came without any alcohol wipes.

Lisa69free

Would you use an alcohol wipe to finger prick? I never did, I just give the area a wipe with a flannel and tap it dry before placing sensor. They are quite inexpensive to buy if you want them though

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t use wipes in any shape or form. They are bad for the environment. Have a damp cloth in my kit bag if out. Otherwise use the sink and soap. Always just scrub the area in shower before applying new sensor.