training for 100km bike ride

rugbygirl

Hi
I am doing a 100km bike ride in june and just wondered if there was any other type 1 cyclists out there, and how you fuelled yourself on long rides? and if you have any training tips?

C

catherinecherub

I'll bump your post up in the hope that someone will answer.
Might be worth putting it on the Type1 board too.

sf352

Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hi rugbygirl, I'm t1 and have been cycling regularly and racing the last year. 1st100k is a good milestone. You should work up to it, you'd wanna be able to comfortably do 80k a week before to 100. Sports gels are your new best friend! :D they are a great way of keeping your sugars up during the ride without being to hard on the stomach. Personally I cant eat a lot while riding, I find fruits and bars tend to repeat on me so dex sweets and gels do the trick. But trial and error to see what fits for you. I'm currently training for a 200k hill event so I'll gradually increase the distance and severity of each spin till I'm up to speed. Hill repeats are also a good way of increasing strength and conditioning. Hope this helps?

TijnUK

Hi Rugbygirl,

Just joined this forum and saw your post. Not sure if you have found all the answers you're looking for but maybe I can share a little of my experience.

I am a type 1 and just started cycling again after not being on my bike for a year and a half.
Fuelling for me seems not to be so much different than for "normal" cyclists. I try to stick to an energy bar each half hour till 45 minutes and use an electrolyte drink and an energy drink aiming around 500 ml each half hour. Not with to much carbs/sugars. The sachets mostly recommend 50 grams of the powder on 500 ml water but I normally use around 35 to 40 grams on 750 ml. I find that I mostly don't have to use any insuline or very little while cycling and eating the bars and drinking but I don't know how other T1's experience this.

I do not race but mostly go out on my own and every now and then I join an event. I try to have a pit stop in the middle of my ride and do a bloodsugar test and depending on the result I eat some extra. Certain gels are very helpful too but there are quite a few which contain a serious amount of sugar. There are some brands which are really good and taste good too but this is something which is also a very personal thing which any cyclist will agree.

Good luck!