Type 1 Can Hb1Ac Results be Incorrect?

Sol Jennings

Over the last 2 weeks or so I've developed symptoms that align with those often reported in cases of undiagnosed Type 1 diabetes - frequent urination (in the last 8 hours I've urinated 13 times), excessive thirst, constant gnawing hunger, fatigue, overall body weakness, headaches, abdominal pain and an awful feeling of malais. After speaking to my GP, I had multiple blood tests done - including a blood glucose test (which I assume must have been the HbA1C test). Everything came back as normal. Is it possible that the results of the Hb1AC test were misleadingly low? I donated blood a few weeks prior to the test being done, which I believe can lower the results?

As an aside, my symptoms have been particularly bad today, leaving me feeling absolutely awful and there has definitely been a distinctive smell of pear drops in my breath.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Sol Jennings , welcome to the forum.
Everything came back as normal. Is it possible that the results of the Hb1AC test were misleadingly low?
It's rare but possible.
With those symptoms I'd rather be safe than sorry and see if you can get a fingerprick for your current blood glucose somewhere. So I'd call 111 for advice, or if there's a chemist or pharmacist still open you might be able to get a test there.

sgm14

HbA1C is the average of your blood glucose levels over 90 days, so if you have Type 1 and it has only started in the last few weeks, then it would not yet be a reliable test. However your doctor should know that and should also perform a test of your current blood sugar levels.

However with symptoms like yours and the possibility of type 1, I would not risk it and so would not assume that the doctor has done the correct test, so best to check with the doctor to see exactly what test was done or else get another test done.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
A fasting BG test should have been the correct test. You would have been asked to fast from at least 6pm the evening before the test.

Sol Jennings

HbA1C is the average of your blood glucose levels over 90 days, so if you have Type 1 and it has only started in the last few weeks, then it would not yet be a reliable test. However your doctor should know that and should also perform a test of your current blood sugar levels.

However with symptoms like yours and the possibility of type 1, I would not risk it and so would not assume that the doctor has done the correct test, so best to check with the doctor to see exactly what test was done or else get another test done.

I'm assuming it was the Hb1AC as the nurse took blood from my arm and the results took a few days, although they may have tested both as you say - I'll call tomorrow to check.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A fasting BG test should have been the correct test. You would have been asked to fast from at least 6pm the evening before the test.
If you come in non fasting with symptoms there is no reason to not test BG, if it's above 11 it's still diagnostic. I've never been asked to fast from 6PM for a fasting BG.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm assuming it was the Hb1AC as the nurse took blood from my arm and the results took a few days, although they may have tested both as you say - I'll call tomorrow to check.
If you feel ill with a stomach ache and/or nausea, don't wait until tomorrow.

sgm14

My doctor said it is 120 days(?)

I never heard that. Most sources say 90 days, but some say 2-3 months.

Your red blood cells normally live 120 days on average, which would make you think that the HbA1C should be an average of 120 days, but apparently it is some sort of weighted average with the newer blood cells contributing more to the value than older ones.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can we get back to the topic please.

You're welcome to start a new thread on the exact workings on hba1c or to take it to PM.
It's not relevant to this thread, which is on a new member with possibly alarming symptoms.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Over the last 2 weeks or so I've developed symptoms
the nurse took blood from my arm and the results took a few days
So the blood draw was almost a week ago? And you've had only symptoms for about 2 weeks?
If it's a quick onset of diabetes, it wouldn't have affected your hba1c much yet. Usually they include a blood glucose test as well, but they might not have done.
If that is what you have going on, tomorrow might be a bit late.
As an aside, my symptoms have been particularly bad today, leaving me feeling absolutely awful and there has definitely been a distinctive smell of pear drops in my breath.
With those worsening symptoms I would call 111 tonight and not wait.

Sol Jennings

So the blood draw was almost a week ago? And you've had only symptoms for about 2 weeks?
If it's a quick onset of diabetes, it wouldn't have affected your hba1c much yet. Usually they include a blood glucose test as well, but they might not have done.
If that is what you have going on, tomorrow might be a bit late.

With those worsening symptoms I would call 111 tonight and not wait.
Okay I'm going to call 111 - thank you.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Sol Jennings

How are you now? Do you know anything more yet?
I got through to 111 last night and after explaining my symptoms they told me I'd recieve a call from a practioner sometime today. I actually just recieved that call now and after speaking to them, they've recommened that I go to a walk in healthcentre for a urine test. She told me that it was most likely not type 1 diabetes due to the shortness of my symptoms and that it was more likely to be an infection - however, my GP already tested my urine for a UTI. I called the doctors just before this and they told me that they had only done the Hb1AC test.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I go to a walk in healthcentre for a urine test. She told me that it was most likely not type 1 diabetes due to the shortness of my symptoms and that it was more likely to be an infection
Type 1 isn't very likely, but worth making sure.
When you go to the walk in healthcenter, see if they can do a fingerprick test for glucose as well just to make sure!