How to avoid peaks after one hour of eating

Nicklenocky

Hi smaynard

Thanks for your reply. The idea of playing around with basals after my meals really interests me as another poster also suggested the same, I might give it a go at lunchtimes as this is when I have the problem the most.

Regarding the CGM...well I am from the UK but because I work in other countries a lot of have never been around to develop a proper diabetes relationship with any hospital, I am actually not with any clinic in the UK and am seen mostly by doctors in the Middle East. So I self funded my pump and at christmas I also self funded a CGM...I must be the only person in the diabetes world who hates CGMS, I had it on a trial for 2 weeks and it really caused me a lot of stress. I would panic when I saw my bloods shooting up (arrow directly up), panic when the arrow was going down, got woken up often by the alarm, found that it wasnt very accurate (which is obv the case) and obv very expensive for the upkeep. In the end I decided I preferred the accuaracy of blood. I think the CGMS are fantastic for when your bloods are stable but doesnt handle fluctuations very well, or perhaps thats me who doesnt handle them well! Throughly impressed with the technology however.

Yes I am excited for the coming months, but I think the nerves and anxiety are taking over for now!

smaynard

Good luck with your lunch time experiment.

Sorry you had a difficult experience with CGM. I can quite imagine how a 2 week trial would be stressful....it's complex technology and it took me quite some time to master all the nuances, however, for us it is now invaluable. We find it handles fluctuations very effectively and predictive alerts helps us get on top of things before they get out of control.

However, I think your point about stress is very important.....it sounds like your control is really very good....potentially stressing over achieving 'perfection' might be counterproductive. Perhaps a nice long walk after lunch might be far more beneficial than worrying about the 1 hour mark BS test! After all, those stress hormones aren't great for the baby (or your BS levels) either.....

I know it can sometimes be hard not to worry, but try to relax and enjoy this special time.

Best wishes,
Sarah