Newly diagnosed, feeling daunted

LINMARIE

Hi james so pleased you found this site and as all others say you are at the right place a wonderful site full of info whether you just want to browse and read or particapate. Now i was 51 reading at end December and same as you told take metorformun and follow eatwell I was in a terrible state like you said not knowing where to turn what to cook what to buy feeling my anxiety and depression got worse and it all hit me bad etc Now roll forward 4 months and james you can beat this I read up on low carb bought loads books on cooking and concept of low carb high fat eating and told dr nor taking metorformin i wanted to try this tablet free and last friday i was told hbca1 readings now at 38 or 31 cant remember but it was good news Please tell yourself you can beat this and there are plenty of meals you might be able to prepare yourself if wife not willing to support you for example eggs are a staple food in low carb eating and can be used whether breakfast lunch or dinner A dessert i prepare is berries with a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of chia seeds then dollop of greek yoghurt with sprinkle of chopped almonds wallnuts so easy but delicious and filling same with your main meal try replace potatoes with extra veggie and if the main dinner doesn't suit your low carb eating prepare yourself an omlette with say cheese ham mushrooms with a salad Lunch is simple for me usually 2 x riveta with cheese topped with salad bits but low carb eating really fills you up and sometimes skip lunch Perhaps get a drawer dedicated to using to store your nuts seeds etc buy or go library for books and overload yourself on information as i found more i read the more i was in control Wishing you all the best in your journey but as somebody said take a breath and then tell yourself you will beat this with or without support at home and in 3 minths timecyiu will feel a new person and luke mw 2 stone lighter Take care

Lulu0909

Hi James

I’ve just started a kinda similar thread. So you’re not alone at all. I also have depression and it’s been really tough getting this diagnosis. So much conflicting advice and information. We’ll hang in there together!

Reactions: James.Kapherr

James.Kapherr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey all

Just an update - just did my blood readings for a week using Sugr - 21 readings in 7 days and it gives you your Hba1c reading. Mine has dropped from 52 to 40 in a week. I've lost 5 lbs in a week too. That's from changing my diet, logging foods etc

Not sure how accurate that reading is, but at least it is a reading to work on.

Highest reading was 9.8, lowest 5.1.

I think I am managing it well... although I am very tired a lot - not sure if it is the Metformin - my dosage is now 1 pill twice a day for the next week.

Reactions: filly

LINMARIE

Hi you said hbac1 reading 52 and 2 tabs of metorformin now i know not supposed to discuss medicines but personally feel for a 51 reading too much or is it necessary I was 51 and told first take 1 but when i said 48 hours later i not taking i wanted 2 months to go with low carb high fat diet i was then told tablets no you dont need them!! So contradictory Please double check and as so many people on here do change your diet and for a lot of people like me weight comes off better hbac1 readings and feeling so much healthier now the sugar out of system and not weighted down with carbs Good luck!

SydG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi James, I just completed the DESMOND Toolkit course in Cumbria yesterday, absolutely brilliant! I have been Type 2 over 20 years and learnt more in the last few weeks than in the previous 20 years - same for everyone else on the course. Everyone was on injectables of some form, the ladies running the course were able to liaise with the surgeries and gat changes to medications and provide LibreLink 2 to aid monitoring. I have gone from 1 injectable to 3, sounds daunting but it puts you in control of your condition. Finding out how everything works in the body was great I used to panic with high readings at night, but you get assistance with extra glucose stored in the liver. My HbA1c was 91 in April but last week the nurse called to say it was back at 59. My average readings are running at 7.7 which equates to an estimated HbA1c of 48. My third injectable started today which meant reducing the other two, once I'm confident all is good then I will start gently exercising and get more control over diet. You will come away better informed, hope this helps.

D

Deleted member 556127

Hi and Welcome, Diabetes and Anxiety here, which seems to be rearing its ugly head again! I'm impressed that you're on the lower side of the Hbac1 diabetic score and have already received lots of great tips.

This forum is so supportive I love it. Do go lower carb where you can and as long as you can make the next three months better than the last three months I think you can go into remission. So true about it being a marathon not a sprint though!

Reactions: filly

James.Kapherr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all. I had my results of my HbA1c - in 3 months, I got it from 53 down to 44. I am ALMOST in the "normal" range.

No low carb - just healthier eating.

Reactions: finzi1966