Going abroad with a Type I son ...

StephAjcm

Hello! :wave:

We are thinking about going abroad on holiday for the first time since our son was diagnosed with Type I (he is 6 1/2 now). We were going to be going to Florida next Easter but that is temporarily on hold so it will probably be Europe somewhere. I'm after any general advice or tips you can give on going away with a diabetic very fussy eater!

The other thing I was wondering about was holiday insurance. We've never really worried too much about that before but obviously I want to make sure that if anything occurs due to his diabetes we are covered. I've checked the E111 (or whatever it is they are called now!) and we are up-to-date with that but I don't know what it covers and if there is anything else we need to be aware of.

My son is, for want of a better phrase, a 'well' diabetic. He has hypos and hypers obviously but never really seems to suffer that badly when he has them.

Do you need a doctor's note to take with you to cover what medicines / food etc you need to take with you at all times? I also worry about drink as he will only drink blackcurrant squash and not sure what we could get hold of that is sugar free and equivalent abroad!

As you can imagine lots of things whirring through a Mummy's head that I'd be grateful for any tips on.

C

catherinecherub

I'll bump your post up.
Am sure some parents will be along soon to help you out.
Have a lovely holiday. :)

A

Anonymous

Don't have children myself, but I am a type1.
For the flight you'll need a letter from your doctor stating what you need in term of drugs but also the other stuff (test strips, syringes, dextro etc). You need to take all of this in a carry-on since it might get too cold in the luggage compartment or your bag might get lost.
If travelling across time zones, contact the diabetes team for advice regarding timing of basals.
If there's food he might not eat, give him his bolus just after the meal instead of before.
Also, temperature might affect bs so if in a hot climate test often.
I might have missed something but your diabetes team should have a lot of good advice for you.
Have a happy and safe trip! :wave:

StephAjcm

Thanks.

At the moment he is on mixed insulin so he has to have something to eat - which is a right pain for when we are places he doesn't like food or he is poorly but the upside is that he only has to have 2 injections a day. He will changed to seperate injections at somepoint but not sure.

He does have a great nurse who I know will give me good advice but always good to hear other people's views too!

serankine

We have just booked a holiday and going away easter time to Disney Paris. We have never been abroad so we are really nervous especially since we are taking Leah now who has Type 1 (age 5).

We have booked travel insurance for all of us and Leah diabetes is covered we have taken it out with Diabetes UK.

We have got a travel note through our diabetic nurse since Leah is on pump. Which states we have to keep insulin, Battries, etc with us at all times.

We have also let the hotel know that Leah has type 1 and have booked the half board option which allows us to pre-book the resturant and time we want to eat.

We are so nervous about going incase something happens but it will be fun once we are there.
Hope this helps.

emmamadi

Hi, I felt in a good position to answer this as we have just returned from a week in lanzarote with our 2 sons, the youngest who is just 3 and had type 1 for 7 months. We had booked our holiday before he got I'll and diagnosed otherwise I don't think we would have booked it after due to being scared to go probably, but because it was booked already we just went for it! We had the letter from our nurse to say what we were carrying and everything was in our hand luggage in case of things getting lost. Security was no problem, they didn't ask even to see the letter or any of his stuff we had.
The flight was fine, although on the way home it was delayed while we were sat on the plane and had to stay on for an extra 2 hours, but I explained to the air hostesses and they found him a meal which they didn't charge us for so that was great.
On holiday was fine we found. We were all inclusive so he could get anything he wanted, which was mainly the diet drinks they had. We did had to buy some Gatorade as he kept going low, but that was down to us not realising the heat would affect him so much, plus the fact we were way more active than at home. So he would sip on that through the day to keep his levels up. He also didn't eat for the week (fussy 3 year old!) but it was manageable due to him having the full sugar drinks in small amounts instead.
I think you will have a great time and hopefully lots of fun! I do remember it being pretty hectic in both airports without having much space or time to do blood checks, I think we might have appreciated a bit more time so we didn't feel so rushed so maybe allow a bit of extra time in case you need it?
Have fun!
Emma

Hazza

Hi, I'd just like to say that you will have a great time wherever you go. Of course, you will worry and be apprehensive, it's all part of being a parent. We have just got back from a 2 week holiday in Goa and the flights were horrendous (13.5 hours sat on a plane for a 9 yr old is not great) but as long as you use common sense you will be OK.
Lily has had type 1 now for 20 months and this is her second trip to India since she has been diagnosed, she is on a pump so it is a lot easier to manage than injections but you still worry. We have found that she doesn't need to be connected all the time and that she burns the sugar off by running around.
You will need a letter from your doctor or diabetes team but we have never been asked for it. Take all your medical stuff with you in your hand luggage and don't forget to take extra just in case.
Have a great holiday and try to relax.
Harry