Hi and what a shock

victorias-mum

The diagnosis of T1 diabetes that we had on 29th February for our youngest daughter Victoria (11)
I have spent the last couple of weeks reeling and panicking that I am going to lose her, so finding this place is like a light in the dark.
My name is Angie, I am 51 years old. We have no known history of type 1 in our family although I do have an under-active Thyroid, which i am reliably informed is a 'connected condition' Great, does that make me 'guilty'
i am hoping that by browsing your pages, I will find ways to make Victoria's life as normal as I possibly can.
Angie x

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Angie and welcome to the forum :) There will be some parents of children with diabetes along soon to talk to you, and in the meantime, have a look at the Diabetes Youth Club where you should find some helpful information.

wsmum

Hello Angie. I'm the mum of a T1 teenage boy, diagnosed aged 13 a year ago. We too were absolutely reeling for a month or two, but it does get better. There's so much information to take in so it is very overwhelming at first ... Diabetic teams are usually really good at drip feeding the info so you don't get too much at once. Having said that, we wanted to do carb counting very early on so we took matters into our own hands! I thoroughly recommend getting 'Children and Young People with Type 1 diabetes' by Ragnar Hanas. You can get it on Amazon and it's like our diabetes bible now. Also Carbs and cals to help you work out the carbs in food when you're out and about (although your daughter might still be on fixed doses right now?)
Fire away with any questions and good luck!

Isabel73

Hi Angie

I'm the mum of an 11 year old, diagnosed almost 8 years ago. I completely understand the feelings of shock, hurt, guilt - although nobody's to blame - I felt them all and left the surgery in tears. But I agree with everything above, it does get better, it becomes a way of life and 99% of the time things tick along smoothly. My son is in his final year of primary school and is going on a week's residential in June - I would never have believed that could happen! Anything I can help with, just ask :)

Kellyboo boo

Hi my 21 month old son was dyagnosed a month ago now. At the time I thought it could get no better but now I feel things are getting there!! We are still having ups and downs, in feelings and in glucose readings but I think a pattern is coming along! There is lots of support out there and hope all goes well for you all x

marti

Welcome aboard i am Martina from Canada, i am a type 2 diabetic for 7 years and i am on Lantus insulin. this is a great board to get lots of great info on

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi, it is a lot to get your head around but does get easier

Attachments

• 424030_338635869512733_193386990704289_983722_1804986071_n.jpg
    424030_338635869512733_193386990704289_983722_1804986071_n.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 452

jode72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I have it the other way round I was diagnosed in December last year, my 15 year old son is ADHD (amongst other things) and attends weekly boarding school he has now started to panic that I am alone in the house and worries that something may happen to me which has led to behavioural issues at school because he wants to be at home to check I am ok !!!!

I think we may be slowly getting there as he see's that I take it all quiet seriously but it is a struggle for him to adjust too ....

Jo