second hba1c result

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just had my second hba1c result since diagnosis and it's 51. I used the calc and think that equates to 6.8% which is same as my last result so no improvement. At least it gives me the incentive to try harder for the next time. Definitely no more chocolate :oops:

Adam63

You can get 90% or even 99% chocolate bars manufactured by Lindt and others. A few squares of these should not have much impact on your blood glucose. The 99% is quite bitter and not to everyones taste, but 100 grams of this cannot contain more than 1 gram of added sugar. It can be used in baking.

Chocolate is often said to be good for you, well at least the flavonoids within it are. Eating standard "Cadbury" type bars, loaded with sugar is not a good way for taking flavonoids, but the high chocolate content bars should be.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Adam but I have already been eating Aldi's 85% bars. My problem is not being able to stop at one bar!!!

Since posting earlier I have been doing some conversions on calc and it seems that this result equates to an average BG reading of 9.2 :shock: When I checked my testing machine it shows an average of 6.2. I have generally been testing 2hrs after my evening meal and the reading is usually in the region of 5.5 to 6.5 but never above 8. My fasting BG (I do it occasionally) is usually 7ish.

In order to improve my hba1c should I go back to testing more regularly and, if so, how often per day? I generally eat the same foods and have been since xmas. I thought my readings were pretty good so I relaxed the frequency of them (also to save money on strips but that's another issue!!)

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Grazer

Hi Choco! Hey, you were the right side of 7% so not too bad, although I know you would have wanted to be lower.
Few things to bear in mind when trying to work out how your average BG could be so much higher than your meter average.
1) Your meter readings are taken 2 hours after eating. According to what you eat, your peak BG could be just 45 mins to an hour after eating. That will of course push your averages up. Don't go overboard, but it might be worth using a few strips at the one hour stage after various meals to see the difference between that and your 2 hour. It will be higher, but of it's MASSIVELY higher, it could be your meals are a little high on the GI scale.
2) your fasting BG is highish. Could mean your BG is high when you go to bed. Do a couple of checks. If it is, it could be your eating your evening meal a bit too near to bedtime. Or are you snacking after your evening meal??? If so, stop. A high bed reading gives a high morning one. I have NOTHING within 2 and a half to 3 hours before bed to allow time for my BG to get back down. Do a bit of vigorous exercise just for 10 mins about an hour after your evening meal. That helps to get it back down before bed.
3) Our meters aren't that accurate, so could be yours reads a little low. When you next go for your check-up, you could take your meter and check a reading with the nurse doing one simultaneously on her meter.
4) Do you test now and then after breakfast and lunch, to make sure they'res nothing odd going on there? Worth a couple of strips.
Anyway, just some thoughts. Watch those snacks!

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Grazer.

I was testing after breakfast and lunch in the beginning. 2hrs after lunch I was always 4.something so I stopped testing then. After breakfast is a bit more difficult as I don't like to test at work. (had lunch at 12ish and usually home for 2ish). As for before bed, anytime I have tested before bed it has been low but it rises in the morning. I assumed DP and also read on here to try eating a small carb snack before bedtime (which didn't seem to work for me). My best ever FBG reading was 5.5 when I had had 3-4 slices dominos pizza plus 4 slice chocolate birthday the previous night!!!! I haven't tested my FBG since as it makes no sense :( My second best FBG reading I had had about 6 choc digestives the night before :crazy: :crazy:

I am off work w/c 09/04/12 so I think I will get stuck in with the testing then and see what surprises I come up with :eek:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
chocoholicnomore said:
Thanks Grazer.

I was testing after breakfast and lunch in the beginning. 2hrs after lunch I was always 4.something so I stopped testing then. After breakfast is a bit more difficult as I don't like to test at work. (had lunch at 12ish and usually home for 2ish). As for before bed, anytime I have tested before bed it has been low but it rises in the morning. I assumed DP and also read on here to try eating a small carb snack before bedtime (which didn't seem to work for me). My best ever FBG reading was 5.5 when I had had 3-4 slices dominos pizza plus 4 slice chocolate birthday the previous night!!!! I haven't tested my FBG since as it makes no sense :( My second best FBG reading I had had about 6 choc digestives the night before :crazy: :crazy:

I am off work w/c 09/04/12 so I think I will get stuck in with the testing then and see what surprises I come up with :eek:
Maybe the late night chocolate carbs tricked the 'Dawn phenonomen' as you had sufficient blood glucose in the morning to avoid your liver releasing extra glucose to prepare you for a new day?
I don't know-just a wild theory and probably wrong knowing me! :lol:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I don't eat after about 6.30 pm in the evening and I exercise after I've eaten in the evening as well to keep my levels down. I used to get really hungry in the evenings, but now I don't really.

Maybe you could try keeping a food diary for the week you are off work to see what you're eating as well as upping the tests.

I've got an Hb1Ac test on Tuesday.