Airplane food

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My partner has just booked to visit family in Australia. He’s flying with Qatar Airways and said the choice of meals was huge including low carb. Unfortunately he opted for vegetarian so I won’t be able to report back on their low carb option.
In my experience, Vegetarian means overcooked pasta for most flights.
This is why I tried out Asian Vegetarian and I find the curries (with the very occasional pasta) much more interesting.

The only downside is the racial profiling I've experienced more than once - the air crew walk past me with my meal with my seat number on it but decide it is a mistake to offer an Asian meal to a white person. It has even been offered to the Asian gentleman sitting across the aisle from me who was as disappointed with the service as I was.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, I wonder if at a glance he saw low calorie and hearing me talking about low carb (all the time :)) he read it as that. He’s Out at the moment but I’ll check with him when he’s home. I have to say it surprised me when he mentioned it.
Or maybe low-salt or low-cholesterol.

To be fair - Qatar do seem to have a very good list of alternative meals compared to others.

I was wondering why there was no Halal option - then i saw: Please note, all meals are halal.

Reactions: filly

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few years ago we had a family holiday to St Lucia with virgin, I booked a diabetic meal weeks in advance, but on the day they said they didn’t have one & no spare meals so gave me a choice of a chocolate bar or a banana, would never fly with them again

• Hug
Reactions: Melgar and jjraak

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few years ago we had a family holiday to St Lucia with virgin, I booked a diabetic meal weeks in advance, but on the day they said they didn’t have one & no spare meals so gave me a choice of a chocolate bar or a banana, would never fly with them again
Isn't that something eh. They don't tell you until you are up in the air! That happened to me with my no gluten meal request. They had nothing to offer except some mingy cucumbers soaked in vinegar. Luckily for me it was white vinegar. Had it been malt I would not be able to eat that either. And the cheese! The cheese they offered me was this awful highly processed stuff. Their cheeses should come with a warning 'sorry this cheese may look like cheese but really it is just a chemical process with yellow colouring' :bigtears:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, I wonder if at a glance he saw low calorie and hearing me talking about low carb (all the time :)) he read it as that. He’s Out at the moment but I’ll check with him when he’s home. I have to say it surprised me when he mentioned it.
I did 4 Qatar Airways flights last year, with no LC option. The food was generally good (for airline food), except for one breakfast, but that always seems a lottery on airlines

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did 4 Qatar Airways flights last year, with no LC option. The food was generally good (for airline food), except for one breakfast, but that always seems a lottery on airlines
No, unfortunately it seems they don’t. I’ve checked with him and the airline and he’d misread it. I’ve amended my original post.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please understand that aircrew have no idea of or control over what catering staff put on board. They just have to take the flak when it isn't suitable.

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife