Concerns About Partner's Diabetes History and Genetic Risk

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I'm reaching out for advice and guidance regarding a situation in my life that's causing me a great deal of concern.

I've recently started a relationship with a wonderful woman who means the world to me. We're both in our thirties—she's 30, and I'm 36—and we've been together for about two months. We both are from India and living in India. Our relationship is going really well, and we're deeply in love with each other.

However, there's a significant aspect of her medical history that's weighing heavily on both of us. My girlfriend has a family history of diabetes, which has understandably made her worried about her own health. Her father passed away from diabetes when she was only four years old, and her elder sister has been dealing with high blood sugar levels since she turned 30. Recently, her sister's sugar levels spiked to 350, and she was also diagnosed with aggressive cancer.

Given this family history, my girlfriend is understandably concerned about the possibility of inheriting diabetes. She's worried about her future health and the potential complications that come with living with diabetes. This has been a source of stress for both of us, especially as we discuss our future together. I'm here seeking advice on a few fronts. Firstly, I'm worried about her chances of developing diabetes given her family history. Is there a way to assess her risk more accurately? Does genetic testing play a role in determining her likelihood of developing the condition?

Additionally, I'm concerned about how to support her in making healthy lifestyle choices. She's resistant to exercise, despite its importance in managing diabetes and overall health. How can I encourage her to prioritize her health without causing tension in our relationship?

Lastly, her worries about passing on diabetes to our future children and experiencing complications during pregnancy have led to doubts about our future together. I still want to have children, but I also want to support her in navigating these concerns. I would greatly appreciate any insights, advice, or personal experiences that you could share.

What is her risk of developing diabetes given her family history?
- Is genetic testing an option to determine her likelihood of developing diabetes?
- How can you support and encourage her to make healthy lifestyle choices, including exercise, without causing tension in your relationship?
- How can you address her concerns about passing on diabetes to future children and experiencing complications during pregnancy, while still wanting to have children?

Thank you all in advance for your help and support.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome. I am delighted you have found love, and commend you for taking such a realistic approach to health.

We all inherit certain tendencies to this or that health problem, and not one of us has perfect health. We also, as a friend of mine used to say "can't see round corners". Anything can happen to any of us at any time. We can only do our best. Realistically, no-one is going to commit to something they hate or find difficult simply for a health concern, no matter how sensible that seems in abstract. If your young lady does not like exercise, it is useless to make her try and over the long term might damage your relationship. But exercise can take many forms, some of which don't even seem like exercise. For instance, you can go dancing, go for walks together, go shopping together. Lots more options for you to think about.
I would recommend you read around the forum particularly for diet changes which can help keep blood glucose low, and are barely noticeable if you are both eating that way. Rather than suggesting what your beloved should eat, say that you have decided to eat more of this and less of that for your own health because you don't want your prospective children to lose their father to avoidable illness.
It is a wonderful thing to find mutual love, and I am happy for you.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
here you can read about the risks

the genetic test will still show only the probability, and judging by the number of relatives with diabetes, the probability is not as small as you would like.

It seems to me that the best way to motivate a person to play sports is to find a sport that she likes. Try different options, something should be interesting

As for pregnancy complications, the most common thing is that diabetes has a bad effect on blood vessels and all the complications from a normal pregnancy related to blood vessels will manifest themselves more strongly and that the baby's pancreas may begin to do the work of the pancreas mother to compensate for hyperglycemia and at birth the child's blood glucose level may drop. The fetus may develop diabetic fetopathy, the baby is likely to be large and it will be difficult to give birth without a cesarean section. I think the main thing is to find a good doctor who can properly manage pregnancy. Many diabetics have children, so if that's what you want, anything is possible.

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the reply @Zhnyaka. So no one can for sure say what is the probability of her getting diabetes is it

If that's the case, then she won't agree to get along with me for sure.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Thanks for the reply @Zhnyaka. So no one can for sure say what is the probability of her getting diabetes is it

You can say the probability, but it's still just a percentage. For example, I will tell you that you have a 3% chance of getting diabetes (an absolutely random number), but no one knows whether you will get into these 3% or not