Tips too boost sugar levels while exersising.

toby

Hey wonder if anyone can help.

Over the past few months ive been trying to get into a regular habit of going to the gym.

I'm oftern finding i have to stop before i want to due to having a hypo, to combat this i have been trying many energy drinks but these dont seem to be making much effect.

Too give you the scenario, The night before i plan to go the to gym, i will reduce my night time injection (lantis) by 1 unit, so down to 13 units.

I will then have a normal breakfast then have a high carb lunch like pasta, have normally no insulin with my lunch too, i normally get my sugars to about 15 or 16 ideally before i start working out.

I'll then normally have 350ml of lucizade or similar while working out and after aroung 50 mins my sugars will be down too about 5 and i will have to stop.

Any advice welcome :)

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Toby, I agree with Sarah.

15 or 16 is an extremely harmful blood sugar level, and carries a high risk of permanent damage to much of your body. 5 is a normal blood sugar!
If you feel hypoglycemic at 5, it suggests that your blood glucose is abnormally high most of the time. The solution must surely be to normalise your blood glucose which, with the right diet, can be done using much less insulin. Eating and drinking more sugar is not the answer, it's only compounding the problem.
I'm asuming, from your description, that you're type 2? How much insulin do you use, and what do you eat?

All the best,

fergusc

toby

Hey thanks for teh replys, Yes i understand everybody is going to be different so you can only give advice :)

I'm type 1, i have been a diabetic for around 6 months now. I dont normaly feel im having a hypo untill mysugars get to under 4. Iunderstand this is quite acceptable? One thing that does worry me is i can still have my sugars go as high as 25 and i will not notice it at all!

Generally speaking i have 2 units for breakfast, 3 or 4 untis for lunch and 5 untis for dinner, although obviously this changes depending on what i eat. My father is a chef so we have home cooked food like pasta currys or roasts.

Finally i do not carb count no. This is still all very new to me.

toby

Thanks alot very intresting, never heard of this "honeymoon period" but it makes logical sence. I am due my second 3 month check up in 2 weeks so i will mention it to them then :)

Abi

I can only re inforce what others have said- you shouldn't have to sit at 15 to 16 mmol/L half of the afternoon. Levemir may be a better option for you as a basal insulin- you see the effects of dose adjustment more quickly- also many people take it twice daily as it often runs out before 24 hours- if you were to swap to this you may find reducing the morning dose of levemir helpful rather than having to eat huge amounts of carb with no rapid acting insulin and then routinely run high

Abi

Toby this website is well worth having a look at- the content is very similar to DAFNE: http://www.bdec-e-learning.com
Teaches you to carb count and adjust insulin.Also teaches about adjusting insulin for excercise You have to register and get a password to access the site then clickn on a "disclaimer" stating that you take responsibility for adjusting your insulin. It's worth lookin at even if you don't feel confident enogh to go ahead and start adjusting doses. Carb counting should be introduced soon after diagnosis- if a person is injecting insulin how on earth can they be expected to control blood glucose if they don't either eat similar amounts of carb or adjust the dose accordingly. It should never have been abandoned in the first place