broken Medtronic pump

tricia43

I have just had a very traumatic time as my Medtronic Veo pump has stopped pumping and broken for the second time. Is this a record? Two bad pumps in about 18 months. The problem is you try to think of why the bg's are so high and it takes a crisis to find out the problem. Medtronic did courier a new pump quickly both times but you are not really in a fit state to reprogamme completely from scratch.

Does anyone know of anyone with this problem? Of course so far Medtronic won't admit it is their fault, even though they replace it asap.

tricia

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Tricia,

I have also had two broken medtronic pumps within 18 months. The first time it had a funny was when I was the coast of Turkey on a boat on holiday!! but luckily it sorted itself out eventually.
But then a few weeks later when I was back at home it failed again during the prime and died and was replaced quickly by medtronic.

I think it is a very good idea to keep a record of all your settings though because all that information is lost when the pump fails, resulting in the need to reprogram the pump.

I have also had a pump replaced because of a crack in the casing. Both times Medtronic were fantastic and tried to sort it out for me via the helpline. When that didn't work a new pump arrived before midday next day by courier.

Cally

Great to hear I am not the only one. The problem for me on the first Veo was it stopped dispensing insulin 6 times in 6 months without me knowing. I woke up each time as I felt so ill. Medtronic dispute there was a problem, even though I was ambulanced to hospital. I also had extensive 'other' medical investigations. No non-delivery alarm ever.

This time luckily it happened in the day on the second pump. So I was able to change insulin, canula, etc and do the test with the little blue clamp. Still no delivery alarm. (I am more pump savvy now)

I am wondering if it is fault with the 'low glucose suspend' which is actually a feature for use with the continuous glucose monitor?
To quote IDDT Newsletter article. Artifical pancreas may be delayed by regulations in the US. ... 'shuts off the insulin flow when glucose falls dangerously low. Perhaps in my case, it was triggering a shut down at ramdon.

tricia