• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

Creon changed sense of taste? No Creon available in chemists….

Cumbrianjudith

Well-Known Member
Messages
87
Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a query been on Creon about 6 weeks, normally 100,000 units per main meal etc, it may be a coincidence but two of my long-time regular foodstuffs have become bitter, almost inedible: frozen berries with blackcurrants etc, and 85% dark chocolate both Lidl brands. As well as digestion getting better the Creon regime is playing havoc with my type 3c diabetes and also my Long Covid cardiovascular high BP but ‘postural hypotension, not Pots’, so the antihypertensive prescription drugs! So more important things to concern myself with than changing taste buds ( the sense of smell, or 95% of it, went with Covid too).

As a newbie to Creon I’m in the position of not being able to find any, got 2 days left, tried 5 separate chemist groups, even phoned Viatris/Creon direct …who suggested a single chemist who refuses to answer their phone. What have Creon users in England done when they just can’t get any prescription filled?
 
Can’t help with the creon, but I’m experiencing this with several medications across the family, my GP advised to go to an independent chemist also, as they use any warehouse, where as the likes of Boots & Lloyds only use their own warehouses. I did find an independent one who managed to find all that was needed quite easily. The only problem was as all family prescription go to directly to Boots and because once they process them and find they can’t fulfil the prescription it has to stay with them, so I had to phone the GP for all new prescriptions and void the ones with Boots. A bit of a hassle but at least I got the meds.

I now phone Boots before I reorder to check they have stock
 
@Cumbrianjudith I can’t help with your loss of taste, but I know that there have been supply problems with Creon all year due to the manufacturer. The last I read, problems will continue until the end of 2026.

I’ve sometimes been given one or two boxes of Creon rather than my usual three; the missing Creon arrived in time. On one occasion, nothing was available, but my GP prescription team helped by telephoning other local pharmacies to obtain a supply.

I think one problem is that alternative medicines are also in short supply as people switch.

There’s some advice here: https://www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/news-and-blogs/information-about-the-supply-of-creon-25000/
 
Just a query been on Creon about 6 weeks, normally 100,000 units per main meal etc, it may be a coincidence but two of my long-time regular foodstuffs have become bitter, almost inedible: frozen berries with blackcurrants etc, and 85% dark chocolate both Lidl brands. As well as digestion getting better the Creon regime is playing havoc with my type 3c diabetes and also my Long Covid cardiovascular high BP but ‘postural hypotension, not Pots’, so the antihypertensive prescription drugs! So more important things to concern myself with than changing taste buds ( the sense of smell, or 95% of it, went with Covid too).

As a newbie to Creon I’m in the position of not being able to find any, got 2 days left, tried 5 separate chemist groups, even phoned Viatris/Creon direct …who suggested a single chemist who refuses to answer their phone. What have Creon users in England done when they just can’t get any prescription filled?
Whenever I’ve been unable to get my Creon prescription from the chemist I’ve called NHS 101 and they have always sorted it out. Give that a try. I am also T3c
 
Back
Top