I was diagnosed two years ago at age 47 with type 2, my initial HBA1C was 128 and I was put on insulin and metformin immediately. I also massively changed my diet and my numbers are now much better.
Although diagnosis and treatment were very quick and efficient I have been given very little information with regards to whether I am ever likely to be able to come off the insulin, how I might go about it etc other than a brief period where they suggested I lower the dose slightly and see what happened (my numbers went up, perhaps unsurprisingly), and a DESMOND course which didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know from my own research. I am aware I need to lose some weight, but I have recently hit menopause big time and my stomach has grown, which is worrying me a lot.
I know from various tests I had for something else years ago that I have a small pancreas (probably the result of an infection at some point), I also know I had a borderline fatty liver, which may not be borderline any more as that was years ago. It seems self evident to me that these would have been big factors in my developing T2 (genetics and an incredibly stressful year added to the mix).
I have been getting very depressed about myself and my long term health, being relatively young and already on insulin is making me very worried for the future. I really want to do something to try and get off the insulin if at all possible. I have been reading Roy Taylor's books and the rapid weight loss to strip fat from around the pancreas and liver seems like a good idea, but I think it would be pretty risky for an insulin injector like me. I've had a few hypo's just from accidentally not eating enough. I don't particularly want to risk sending myself far too low from a liquid diet. Low carb is also risky for hypos.
My main problem with dieting is time, I work full time, walk the dog twice a day and have a disabled husband to look after. And, as mentioned, I am menopausal, have lost all interest in food and CANNOT BE BOTHERED. The last thing I want to do is spend 3 meals a day preparing meals from scratch and living on chicken and vegetables.
Sorry this is a bit of a ramble, I guess I should be discussing all this with my diabetes nurse, but my review is overdue (again) and I'm impatient to do SOMETHING to turn this thing around. All I hear is "Oh Type 2 you can go into remission with that" but can I? Really? How do I do it without risking dangerous lows? Any pearls of wisdom from anyone who's been there please?
Although diagnosis and treatment were very quick and efficient I have been given very little information with regards to whether I am ever likely to be able to come off the insulin, how I might go about it etc other than a brief period where they suggested I lower the dose slightly and see what happened (my numbers went up, perhaps unsurprisingly), and a DESMOND course which didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know from my own research. I am aware I need to lose some weight, but I have recently hit menopause big time and my stomach has grown, which is worrying me a lot.
I know from various tests I had for something else years ago that I have a small pancreas (probably the result of an infection at some point), I also know I had a borderline fatty liver, which may not be borderline any more as that was years ago. It seems self evident to me that these would have been big factors in my developing T2 (genetics and an incredibly stressful year added to the mix).
I have been getting very depressed about myself and my long term health, being relatively young and already on insulin is making me very worried for the future. I really want to do something to try and get off the insulin if at all possible. I have been reading Roy Taylor's books and the rapid weight loss to strip fat from around the pancreas and liver seems like a good idea, but I think it would be pretty risky for an insulin injector like me. I've had a few hypo's just from accidentally not eating enough. I don't particularly want to risk sending myself far too low from a liquid diet. Low carb is also risky for hypos.
My main problem with dieting is time, I work full time, walk the dog twice a day and have a disabled husband to look after. And, as mentioned, I am menopausal, have lost all interest in food and CANNOT BE BOTHERED. The last thing I want to do is spend 3 meals a day preparing meals from scratch and living on chicken and vegetables.
Sorry this is a bit of a ramble, I guess I should be discussing all this with my diabetes nurse, but my review is overdue (again) and I'm impatient to do SOMETHING to turn this thing around. All I hear is "Oh Type 2 you can go into remission with that" but can I? Really? How do I do it without risking dangerous lows? Any pearls of wisdom from anyone who's been there please?