New pump next week!!!! eeeeeek!!!! How did you adapt to it?

kellyrae

Hi, I'm glad to say that next week i get my accu check combo pump system, i live in uk so i am getting it funded by the nhs.

Ive had diabetes 25 years from an early age so i am so used to managing my diabetes a certain way now as you can imagine, I'm a little aprehensive about starting it, i'm sure i will adapt to it quickly enough, the insertion og the canula doesn't bother me and i have had the blood glucose remote monitor for 2 months already to get used to the way it works so i'm kinda ready.

You get so used to coping and dealing with diabetes a certain way for such a long time that its going to feel so strange not doing injections....i know this is a good thing of course!! No injections, great (my biggest wish as a child).

How did everyone else adapt to using a pump?

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: New pump next week!!!! eeeeeek!!!! How did you adapt to

Hi Kellyraye

I got my pump last July. It took a while to adjust and at first my attention seemed to be on my pump 24/7. Like you, after many years of diabetes I was used to doing things a certain way. Had to adjust my thinking about some things, but gradually it got easier and I love my pump. It can take a year to get completely comfortable with the whole thing, including establishing your basal pattern, ratios, corrections, BG targets, confidently adjusting for illness and activities, hormonal changes, knowing your usual patterns, where & how you wear it etc. (All these things may be different from what you do on injections.) But I felt great on it from the start and even at first when I was really tired, I'd have fought to keep the pump if necessary.

It felt strange not doing injections at first, like I'd left the gas on or something. Not so much before meals, more likely at bedtime, when I used to take Levemir. I'd get into bed and think 'oops, haven't done my Levemir!'. It wears off though because mostly you are doing something when you'd normally inject, its just you're doing something different. Really enjoyed my first Christmas and birthday without injections and I was surprised how quickly I got used to doing for example 2.3 units, not rounding up or down.

If you work, get a complete spare set of everything to leave at work. Not just the consumables - spare BG meter and strips, and inserter device if you use one - so you won't need to take everything to and fro every day. Its unlikely you'll need them at work, but you can relax knowing you're prepared for anything. Plus of course spares of everything to take when you go elsewhere.

Make an appointment with your GP soon after you start pumping. You'll probably need some changes to your prescription, but don't just hand in a note from the pump nurse, discuss it with the GP in person. Then you can be sure your GP knows your old pens/syringes/cartridges and needles etc must stay on your repeat list - you must have supplies at home 'just in case'.

I understand your anxiety, but It'll be fine

Sue