Insulin potency loss speed at different temperatures?

ankat

Do anyone have numbers on how fast insulin lose potency at different temperatures?

I've asked at another forum but all I got was general insulin storage procedure tips. I'm more after scientific numbers. If it's different between manufacturers I'm most interested in NovoRapid and Levemir.

ankat

Sometimes I just forget about google:
http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2009/august/0910.pdf

All the three brands of insulin for both the formulations did not differ considerably in their insulin content during various sampling time and temperatures (pharmaceutically equivalent). There was no difference in concentration of insulin in vials stored at 25 and 26C compared to those stored at 5°C on all five sampling days. There was a 14 and 18 per cent decrease in the concentration of regular insulin in vials stored at 32 and 37°C on day 28 for all the three brands. There was a 11 and 14 per cent decrease in the concentration of regular insulin in biphasic insulin formulation in vials stored at 32 and 37°C on day 28.
So it seems it's quite alright to store insuline in room temperature for 4 weeks, and just a 14% potency decrease in 37 degrees.

Herbie72

ankat said:
Sometimes I just forget about google:
http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2009/august/0910.pdf

All the three brands of insulin for both the formulations did not differ considerably in their insulin content during various sampling time and temperatures (pharmaceutically equivalent). There was no difference in concentration of insulin in vials stored at 25 and 26C compared to those stored at 5°C on all five sampling days. There was a 14 and 18 per cent decrease in the concentration of regular insulin in vials stored at 32 and 37°C on day 28 for all the three brands. There was a 11 and 14 per cent decrease in the concentration of regular insulin in biphasic insulin formulation in vials stored at 32 and 37°C on day 28.
So it seems it's quite alright to store insuline in room temperature for 4 weeks, and just a 14% potency decrease in 37 degrees.

So that does, basically, mean that sugars can go up in heat. Interesting...