Been Refused Testing Strips

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
I am shocked to hear you've been refused testing strips!!!!!
I cannot survive without them, and Im sure all Type 1s would agree.
I was once refused by a GP who assumed that I had Type 2 and said I didn't really need them!!!!! I was horrified and changed my doctor at our local surgery. The new GP was furious that he had made the mistake, especially as he had my notes in front of him at the time and it was noted how sensitive I am to insulin.

I hope you get this sorted out soon, mistakes are made at surgeries, we are all human, but you need these test strips as a type 1 so that you can keep well. :!:

petrichor

CarbsRok said:
JoCo said:
Fifty per month! I use about 10 strips per year. It seems the more I use the worse my A1c gets. At diagnosis I did almost no testing for 5 yrs.My A1c was 4.5-5 (on mixtardx2) .Yeh I hypo'd now and then but always controllable.Hypos go with the show. Since 2003 when I bumped my car into a skip, I was switched from mixtard twice per day to Novarapid 3x and Lantas 1x. My A1c went from 5-5.6 to 7.3, just now managed to get it back to 7.0. I asked to go back on mixtard but they don't make it anymore.The 3day glucose test has for the last three times in a row showed that I was under 2.2 most of the night (the lowest the system reads). Not that bad, I dont get serious hypos until about 0.8 mmol/L. Then last time I had my dose halved after an urgent call from Team. This has staved off the ridiculous hunger but I haven't lost weight and my A1c hasnt really changed (fortunatley).They are threatening me with driving licence withdrawl if I dont test before driving.I always eat a handful of sweets before driving coz it seems to drop suddenly the more I drive.I drive I eat. I have for the last 2 years had my GP forget to issue statins on my prescription,despite them being on the form. The strips ARE expensive - maybe a pound each.If you are in a solid routine and are hypo aware, you shouldnt need to test very much. I feel highs and lows the same. And you always know when it's going to be high - just look at the pile of sugar on that chocolate cake! :silent: :shh:

The sooner DVLA pull your licence the better for all road users.
To put things bluntly, you are a ruddy fool and selfish beyond belief.

Hear hear! How dare you drive and put others at risk without even checking your sugar! Especially when your hypo awareness is so bad, 0.8 before it's really bad...
I suspect your cognitive function is "really bad" long before you feel hypo.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I got a free meter from Accu-Chek, I seem to be on their email mailing list. On an email I received yesterday there was an article about this. Obviously from a commercial point of view, they don't want strips restricted or have you changed to a different meter. The article was about what you can do https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/myaccuch ... hoice.html

There is also a leaflet, but you have to be logged into their site to view it.

mhoggarth

I had this problem when i changed practice. When i was first diagnosed i got a pot of 50 test strips, and i was back at the chemists every 10 days or so to get some more, so the doctor increased the number to 150. Great!!!!

However at my new practice my doctor, without speaking to me, lowered it to 50 again. After making an appointment and arguing with him for 20 minutes, he grumpily change the number back to 150.

With being diagnosed in September, i still test regularly, and was very angry that a doctor was being so unhelpful when my previous doctor and DSN were so great.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
That's ridiculous.
Even I as a very stable T2 can't use fewer than 50 per month. What kind of insulin regime are you on?
If it's MDI, you should test before injecting EACH time. One pump user i know tests 10 times per day. 50 equates to 1.67 tests per day. It's definitely not enough to be safe, especially if you drive.
Check out DUK careline[ number on their website]. they can some times help with this kind of thing
Hana

BeccaJaneStClair

Pickwick said:
But the attitudes of the NHS still surface from time to time. Late last year the nurse took a blood sample for my A1c - she rang a week later to apologise - the sample had been returned untested(!!!!!!) by our local NHS trust who reckoned I'd "had my share" that year!!!! Un-f...ing believable!! I was less annoyed about that than at a nurse who didn't tender her resignation at such a challenge to her professional status. Though she may well have done just that - she's gone now, replaced by a nurse whose disinterest in anything other than the NHS party line is palpable.

In fact thinking about this just today, I realised that previous practice was a 3-month check, though I'd been warned that might become 6 months if I didn't actually die. Which doesn't explain why it's over 9 months since I was last checked. I rang in to be told I "should have phoned up." I'm 68, in very poor health (to the point that diabetes is the least of my worries) and can't understand why - given a 2-billion pound computer system - a patient should have to push for attention. I haven't actually bothered to make another appointment. As long as I keep getting my metfartin and strips free, I don't see the point in consulting with people who patently couldn't care less.

Oddly enough I still reckon I'm in one of the better NHS trust area - at least I get what I need even if it does take banging on desks. A friend of mine with T2 lives a few miles south of the Border, in England. A 45-year-old vegetarian teetoller and non-smoker - 8-stone soaking wet when diagnosed with a condition that he was assured just had to be his own fault. He's been flatly refused strips and told to deal with his condition on the basis of "how he feels." He asked me (as the expert - I wish) how that might work - and I couldn't tell him. I don't know what the HELL it means - I certainly wouldn't care to manage my diabetes on that basis. I gave him my spare machine and periodically post him a can of strips.

These days, the NHS motto is "Mind Over Matter." That is to say - they don't mind and we don't matter.

Lincolnshire here. I'm a T2 on diet control only and was told I don't need to test....and since I really can't afford to buy strips each month, I don't test.....and I'm sure it'd be better if I did. Oh well.

But you've got my curious about the HB1Ac "rules" as I had mine done in June and the pre-conception clinic wants me to get it done again before I see them in September.....uh-oh. Maybe I had better ring the pre-conception clinic to double check.....

Ausra

50 strips a month...less then 2 a day! that should be enough for waking up time and bedtime..it might sound like a joke to some people but that is really enough for a diabetic who already has a very good control of blood sugars. But if you are new you need to have a lot of strips for experimenting and learning. Dafne says diabetic needs to test 4-5 times a day, plus before you drive or while you drive long distance or exercise. You should be more strict with that person who prescribes you the strips. Let him know why you need it and what for..he might as well have no clue why you need them for if he gives you only 50 a month!!

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
HI, I had the same problem with my GP, his response probably like yours was "well you only need to test once a day", err no - more like 6 to 8, but generally what GP's know about diabetes let alone the fact there is a difference between type 1 and type 2, you could put on the back of a postage stamp!! A family friend who was a doctor once told me this and I have never forgotten it! What I did and dont know if you can is to ask your DSN to write a letter to your doctor explaining why you need the strips. Its all a question of money usually and they dont want to waste it, but as we all know, test strips are a must for anyone with diabetes. Best of luck, I hope you have success.

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Hi JoCo,

My A1c went from 5-5.6 to 7.3, just now managed to get it back to 7.0. I asked to go back on mixtard but they don't make it anymore.The 3day glucose test has for the last three times in a row showed that I was under 2.2 most of the night (the lowest the system reads). Not that bad, I dont get serious hypos until about 0.8 mmol/L.

This made me shudder, I used to be on mixtard too perfect control was brilliant until they stopped producing it :( Ok, now your hypo situation I would take very seriously. By the sounds of it you have hypoglycemic unawareness (which I suffer from too, apparently if you are type 1 for long enough you get it). At levels 2.2, not only are you in serious hypo but your brain is at risk of serious damage, let's not even discuss 0.8s, not only that but your body will react by mass releasing a whole load of hormones and neurotransmitters (as a panic/survival response) which will make things even messier. Won't bore you with the science but there is ample evidence to show that at serious hypo levels we do suffer from brain damage. Talk to your endocrinologist about it, please.

As for strips I find 50 per month totally outrageous, dam I use that in one week! when driving when exercising when having a slightly different meal you will be checking more often to balance things out expecting patients to do this on 50 strips per month is ridiculous. You need to complain to your practice manager, I cannot see how they expect us all to regulate something as naturally unstable as sugar levels without the ability to check them as and when needed.

I run through 50 or more strips a week now yet have managed to keep my HBa1Cs in between 4.1 and 6.8 (highest ever in 31 yrs). So checking often and adapting does do the trick!

Frankie

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Test strips for me are as important as insulin - Im on a carb controlled exchange diet (type 1 for 42 years) and my blood sugars dramatically increase or decrease according to many other factors other than what I eat and general activity! including - stress, times of the month, other hormone levels, sleeplessness, illness etc etc etc. I am lucky that I havnt been refused test strips yet, but I also remember the days described by jopar, the lancets that would slash your finger for blood and before that - the Clinitest kit that would detect sugar in urine by turning to a specific colour. This was often inaccurate due to time of weeing! You could be hypo and yet the test could show 2% of sugar!
I have to admit that Test Strips are , for me and Im sure others, an essential part of my well being and I would make a huge fuss at the doctors if I was ever refused them. :twisted:

Lemonade

I'm type 1 - a student and I've had so much trouble getting my medication! I was told 4 tests a day was more than enough (which considering I exercise a lot because I DO care about my health) is nowhere near enough! I usually test about 6 times a day but maybe 8 or 9 if I'm going low and exercising. I've been given the same story with needles. I 2 two separate lantus injections (morning and evening) so I guess not including corrections, I probably inject about 6 times a day too (though in reality I think it's a bit more). I was wondering, can I re-use needles? I've always been told NO YOU'LL DIE but I'm getting really dirty looks when I try to order more than about 2 boxes a month and I have so much trouble getting what I need anyway it's easier to re-use.
I'd also like to add that I am so glad I'm not the only one who's had trouble! Since I hit 18 it feels like no one cares about my health at all apart from me, and that's irrelevant because no matter how hard I try I can't juggle sugars, student life and exercise.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lemonade,

The needles are for single use only which the manufacturers stipulates in the patient information, if you under a diabetes consultant then get them to write to your gp and explain that you need to test more than 4 times a day and that needles are for single usage only.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

sinvogue

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that I must be the only person who has a good doctor, He gives me all that I ask for.
I have type 2 and have never felt ill and never been in hospital and I am now seventy.I thank god for my health.
I am on insulin twice a day and metformin twice a day, not that they seem to do anything but the doc says I need them. so I do as I am told he knows best. test strips go in the bin needles into a sharps box. all free.on the nhs of cause

saronie

chris lowe said:
50 strips for a month!? My DSN said I could have a pot of 50 strips and they should last me a year, so on average once a week testing for me. If it wasn't so serious it would be a joke! :)
I am T2 and have also been told I only need to test ONCE A YEAR so I purchased my own monitor but was told by the surgery that I am only entitled to 50 strips a year one test a week but I need to test at least once a day before I bought my monitor I had a "test" in the chemists and was 18.6 with the help of my monitor I am keeping it in single figures 90% of the time.