insulin resistant??

boots38

Hello there, I have been using my animas pump now since December 10, had a few teething problems to start with, but this soon sorted out, and up to now have, had a relative stress free life with it. This morning I did a set change early first thing as I running low on insulin, blood sugar was slightly high at 10.5, so did a correction first. Once I had changed the set about an hour later, checked my metre which read 8.7, so had bolus and breakfast of porridge. I then did a check which I always do around 10.30, to my horror found it was on 18.9. I decided maybe I had too much porridge, and had miscalculated the carbs. I normally give it a little while to see if it comes down, but after waiting another half an hour,it had gone up to 25.5. By now I am starting to worry, had a large correction of 5.70u which I thought would solve the problem. Nearly a hour later it had gone up to 26.2, so did another set change. By now it is getting late, I can't eat lunch, and my blood sugar won't budge. Only good bit of news it negative for ketones. Finally decided to phone animas who were brilliant, to cut a long story short, I normally place my infusion sets in my stomach, turns out as I have lots of muscle there as I do sport, its not working. My pump is fine, it just can't deliver through my skin . I had to have a correction by pen which did work, and then another set change, which I did on my side. Finally it starts to come down, teatime reading was 4.7, the lady I spoke too said do not continually use the same areas, which I am guilty of, I am now going to have to put it in different areas to avoid the same problem. Where else can you put it, apart from your side or maybe your arms? Feel a bit nervous about the next set change on Saturday? Any advice much appreciated.

pickle76

Hi,

I've had a similar situation twice in the last 3 weeks - it's scary and frustrating. I use my stomach a lot too, but find anywhere level with or above my belly button quite painful as I'm quite slim and there's not much fat there. So I use my lower tummy but want other sites to use that are as comfortable. I have found that round the back on the 'saddlebag' area is ok but just a bit of a stretch to get them off again easily! I guess if we were to use several areas of the stomach and a few areas further round the back, we would prob be ok if we rotate well and use a marginally 'same but different' area. Hope you get on ok :)