MAJOR MISTAKE!!!

shop

Hi folkes,

I have just injectied 17 units of Novorapid into my butt instead of Levemir!!!

What should I do. I am eating a full peice of toast ( normaly would have 1/2 with no insulin!!)

What an idiot!!

Lucy :(

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm no expert as only just started insulin but I think I would definitely eat more than 1 slice!
Keep checking your levels and maybe give NHS Direct a call for advice?

Good luck
Angie

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got someone there with you to help look after you?

Angie

shop

Hi Angie,

My hubby is upstairs in bed and aware of situ. I have brought alarm closk down and will have to tesy every hr or so!

Thanks for your concern

Lucyxxx

l0vaduck

How much carb would you normally cover with 17 units? That's about what you need to eat!

For me, 17 units would cover 170g carbs. That's what I'd eat but I would probably choose mainly slow acting carbs as in injection that big of insulin is going to take time to absorb, I reckon.

170g carbs is more than I eat in a day, but then your ratio may be different.

Good that you realised!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Lucy - hope it all turns out ok for you tonight. Maybe sip on some lucozade as well just to keep your levels up. Best to be a bit on the high side IMHO for an evening than suffer a bad hypo. As you say if you test regularly as well you should be able to see any dip in blood sugars.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
shop said:
Hi Angie,

My hubby is upstairs in bed and aware of situ. I have brought alarm closk down and will have to tesy every hr or so!

Thanks for your concern

Lucyxxx

Glad you are not alone.
What levels are you getting now?
I wouldn't dare sleep if I'd done that.
Hope all goes well.
Angie

shop

Thanks Angie,

Just tested and 6.3 just eaten loads. If I do nod off I am going to set my alarm to wake me up. I am a bit hesitant to go to sleep.

Thanks again

Lucy xxx

binney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lucy
you are not an idiot,we all make mistakes.I think you should send out for a takeaway!U might aswell make the most of being able to have a feast.Lol.Seriously hope it all turns out ok.Its a worry I know,eat lots,test lots and you'l be fine.
Take care
Binney

iHs

Hello Lucy

I once primed 20u of bolus insulin into my infusion set before I realised that I hadn't disconnected the tube from my pump away from my infusion set...... and had to eat loads of carb which I did over a period of about 4hrs and just kept testing bg all the time. I eventually went to bed when my bg levels stopped falling so I think that maybe you wont be going to bed yet probably until about 2am so make sure that the carb that you are eating will be sufficient to deal with the bolus..........

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Something like a fruit cake might be good for keeping levels up and absorbing excess possibly?
Hope you haven't got to go to work in the morning!
Angie

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How did you get on? Are you ok this morning?
Hope it doesn't upset your levels today too badly.
Best wishes
Angie

shop

Hi Folkes,

Thanks for asking, I got through the night OK. Didn't go to bed till after 2 and reading 11.2 ( high but least not hypo!! )

Very high this morning 18.5 but at least I have taken a correction dose for that, rather that than the alternative :roll:

Thanks all for your kind messages and support. Freajed myself ou there for a while but OK now. Over did it with the food and looking at it now i know that 1 unit of insulin takes me down 2 mmols so should probably have only eaten half what I did but was worried if I didnt eat enough would have a nasty Hypo!! Tricky business.

Just got to get back on with it now and be thankful that I noticed.

Thanks everyone :D :thumbup:

Lucy xxx

LoisCoxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sorry for the late reply to this, but i felt i needed to say, don't think yourself an idiot for doing this! plenty have done it, myself included. i panicked big time as well and couldn't sleep until 3 in the morningish.. i had a friend through the computer who stayed up until i was well, which helped alot. i'm glad that you were okay, and in the short term, a big hyper is much better than a big hypo!! Lo xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
shop said:
Hi Folkes,

Thanks for asking, I got through the night OK. Didn't go to bed till after 2 and reading 11.2 ( high but least not hypo!! )

Very high this morning 18.5 but at least I have taken a correction dose for that, rather that than the alternative :roll:

Thanks all for your kind messages and support. Freajed myself ou there for a while but OK now. Over did it with the food and looking at it now i know that 1 unit of insulin takes me down 2 mmols so should probably have only eaten half what I did but was worried if I didnt eat enough would have a nasty Hypo!! Tricky business.

Just got to get back on with it now and be thankful that I noticed.

Thanks everyone :D :thumbup:

Lucy xxx

Hi Lucy Sorry, I missed this :eek: I'm so pleased to hear you are back on track now. Yep tricky business diabetes ........definately. I hope your weekend is a good one, the weather is supposed to be looking good, it is here today, lots of sunshine :thumbup: Take care with very best wishes RRB XXX