Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
SouthernGeneral6512 said:
I found this interesting because it is often said that bringing blood sugar under control can make retinopathy worse. I've just had my 3 monthly examination and the doctor said my right eye had improved with better control and reduced blood pressure (left eye just the same)

It's the speed in which you bring your Hba1c down and depending on how advanced the retinopathy has progressed, the Medweb site posted previously gives a good explanation.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
The optometrist did say to me that both high and low blood glucose can be bad for retinopathy. Apparently they affect the eyes in different ways.

I wish I could remember half of what he said - next time I will try to get some information in writing.

SouthernGeneral6512

noblehead said:
SouthernGeneral6512 said:
I found this interesting because it is often said that bringing blood sugar under control can make retinopathy worse. I've just had my 3 monthly examination and the doctor said my right eye had improved with better control and reduced blood pressure (left eye just the same)

It's the speed in which you bring your Hba1c down and depending on how advanced the retinopathy has progressed, the Medweb site posted previously gives a good explanation.
Thanks for that ... unfortuntaely mine is very advanced :sick:

iffat83

i think that i am not diabetic. i do not want to eat the diabetic medication metformin for the rest of my life. i have heard that people have cataracts later in life when their lenses are covered with a layer of something. this is normally only corrected with surgery when they have to go into hospital for operation to change their lenses and replace with new lenses from somebody dead or artificial lenses. their eyesight can become better. people try to throw some solvents into my eyes or spray into the eyes and this damages the retonoids layer of the lenses of eyes.i also had electric electolysis epilation over my eyebrows last year in south thames college beauty therapy level 2/3 course. and i was about to lose my vision in my recent operation eye. somebody putting electric current into the eyes, (very dangerous )
i had one eye transplant when i was a baby and after 25 years i had an eye transplant in the other eye. when i go into hospital for eye screening i find the experience very uncomfortable, the drops cause burning in my eyes and i cannot see anything.

i went to specsavers for eye test and i had free laser scanning done in jan 2012. i do not know what they are all doing to my eyes. i can see properly with my eyes but i am not going to allow anyone to play with my eyes anymore. say , do not touch my eyes.
i do not really want to go into hospital for eye screening any more. take care of your eyes. no life without eyes. we do not want to become blind if we do not care for our eyes,