Post-lunch highs

TamsinB

Hello all. I'm hoping some of you might be able to offer a fresh perspective on the post-lunch highs I've been struggling with for a while now.

I'm using a pump with Apidra and have done several rounds of fasting sugars at various times including over lunchtime (between 8am and 3pm) which all seem to suggest that my basal rates are just about spot on. On my current settings my fasting sugars are fairly stable and, if anything, drop a little between 12 and 2pm.

The problem is that about 2 hrs post lunch my sugars seem abnormally high, for example: today I was 4.9 pre-lunch and had a carb-free tuna salad and a small banana. Did a bolus of 3 units before eating but 2 hrs later I'm feeling high and sleepy and am at 12.9mmol. I've tried upping my ratio at lunch but always end up going low at 4-5pm. I'm currently trying low carb lunches (I know the banana wasn't a great idea but I like fruit!) but still having the same problem even when pretty much carb free. The thought that anyone could manage to be 7mmol after lunch is baffling since I'm frequently up to 16! I have similar highs after most meals with my sugars returning to normal 4 hours later but lunch is the biggest problem and results in the most drastic highs. I'm sure these post-meal highs are the reason for my continued high HBA1cs since my pre-meal sugars are nearly always in target.

My consultant has been less than helpful. She told me not to test after meals and that I was being overly fussy. Ordinarily I wouldn't test 2hrs after a meal but I hate feeling so rubbish and sleepy when I need to be concentrating for work. I'm also hoping to get this problem sorted before my husband and I start trying for a baby in a few year's time as I know I'll have to be super careful with my sugars.

Sorry for the long post! Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'll 'bump' your post up Tamsin in the hope that other pumpers will respond to your post.

pickle76

Hi,

I was wondering whether your basal rates are correct for later in the afternoon? I know you said you thought they were ok between 8am and 3pm, but maybe from 3pm you need substantially less? My lowest rates are from 3pm- 5pm. I suggest doing a fasting test to see if this is the case. If so, lower some time blocks to account for this and then put your lunchtime ratio up to counteract the post-lunch highs. Does that make sense? I'm not sure of the action of your insulin (I'm on Novorapid) but I adjust a time block 2 hours ahead of when I need to see an effect (ie if I go low at 4pm, I lower the 2pm-3pm time block). Hope you can sort it and feel better!

TamsinB

That's interesting to hear that you get your lowest rates around 3-5pm, that's the same for me. My previous fasting tests showed a dip at this point but I thought I'd adjusted my basal to compensate, perhaps I've not lowered it enough. My other thought was to try bolusing 20 minutes before I eat but Apidra works very quickly so that might bring on a pre-lunch hypo. I think I'll do another round of fasting and fiddle my 2-4pm basal rates.

Thanks!