A simple choice? Apple or biccies?

Grazer

+1 Borofergie. And I'd add nuts. Cashews and hazelnuts. And a bottle of Rioja, but that's me!

Grazer

Of course, if you want to listen to the NHS, you could lay on some over-cooked boiled white rice, jacket potatos with low fat yoghurt, pizza slices and white bread sarnies.

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hmmm, apple or biscuit? You can't dunk an apple in your brew! Biscuit, yep, definitely biscuit :)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
borofergie said:
peterlemer said:
...so what /would/ the panel place on the back table along with the tea, coffee, water at a diabetics anonymous meeting???

( apart from double cream, NY Cheesecake, coffee eclairs from Louie's in hampstead etc etc )

;-)

pete

MEAT!
Coldcuts.
Chicken drumsticks.

Dipping stuff - celery and carrots
Low carb dips - blue cheese and gucamole
Boiled eggs.

Salad and high-fat dressing.

Stawberries + Cream
Sugar free Jelly
IanD's low carb cake
WJ's low carb trifle

I wasn't hungry until I read this ... (drool) Tell me ... where can I find IanD's low carb cake and WJs low carb trifle ? :)

peterlemer

sallylondon said:
At a diabetes forum I attended there were white bread and wholemeal bread sandwiches, samosas, bananas, apples, oranges, dried fruit, biscuits..... What can I say??

In my GP waiting room ,the large poster of diabetes dietary info shows a white bread roll.

Can I take it that the HNS haven't caught up with Glycemic Load, or is GL a crafty piece of woowoo medicine?

pete

joycegill

If you are going to talk to the group before they have a tea break then the biscuits will be a good idea. When I was first diagnosed I was panicking about everything I ate/did. You have the opportunity to explain to the people there that they need to control their diet BUT the odd biscuit now and then is not going to kill them. They need the reassurance they are still going to have a life after diagnosis.

peterlemer

joycegill said:
...You have the opportunity to explain to the people there that they need to control their diet BUT the odd biscuit now and then is not going to kill them. They need the reassurance they are still going to have a life after diagnosis.

Joyce, that is really supportive - it is a valid POV and has made me think.

(ponders)

I'm not entirely sure that bringing, say, oatmeal biscuits or similar high-fibre treats, or fruit and nuts etc, will necessarily indicate that life after diagnosis needs to be depressing :) The sooner those with raised bg realise that a change is definitely in the wind, the better - and the sooner they realise that the change can be pleasant, better still :)

pete

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Interestingly, apples don't budge my sugar level.

Fraddycat

Hi, Apples are a nightmare for me I eat them and feel more hungry 10 minutes later, haven't eaten them for quite a while. So given the choice of only the 2 I would pick rich tea biscuits BUT I would prefer to have neither. How about cubes of cheddar mixed with walnuts, cherry tomatoes, small pieces of chorizo, peanuts and cashews (not the lowest carb but still good), carrot sticks with guacamole - so many good yummy snacks in the low carb range!

peterlemer

Fraddycat said:
Hi, ... How about cubes of cheddar mixed with walnuts, cherry tomatoes, small pieces of chorizo, peanuts and cashews (not the lowest carb but still good), carrot sticks with guacamole - so many good yummy snacks in the low carb range!

THAT would make the meetings quite attractive! :)

pete

abriana

Apple is very good for diabetes patient. It also helps in cutting calories. Diabetic patient need extra care.

---------------------