Getting chilly - what to wear

A

Anonymous

Now that I'm running every evening, I've noticed that it's getting a bit chilly.. At the moment I'm wearing a t-shirt and joggers with another yellow fluorescent t-shirt over the top - but it's still a bit cold.

What do other chaps on here wear - should I be looking at just long-sleeved or long-sleeved thermal? There seem to be any number of things on the running shop websites.

Also.. it's soon going to be dark when I'm plodding my way out of the village, but it'll still be commuter time. If I am to avoid becoming a bumper ornament for the local 4x4 loving numpties, should I wear lights ?

all advice gratefully received

a fish out of water

Defren

Hi Simon, I would wear something reflective, just to be on the safe side. Other clothing, what you feel comfortable with and that is non restrictive?

I've never seen a fish in shorts. :lol:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I'd wear a long-sleeved thermal top under something reflective.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On a surprising number of days in winter, you'll find that you really don't need too much extra clothing.
If it's really cold, some lycra running tights/shorts under your joggers or more cheaply, a pair of womens tights. You can buy thicker winter running tights or technical base layer tights... but you will only need them on the coldest days, and can be a bit expensive .

Something like a Helly hansen 'base layer' top is useful. You can wear it by itself or if necessary under another top or a wind/rain jacket . I would avoid non technical T shirts, once they get wet with rain or sweat, they stay wet.
I often find that unless it's very windy or raining that my jacket ends up tied in a lump around my waist.

If there are no street lights then you could use a head torch. I've not tried one, we live in the sticks and I don't run in the dark unless I'm in the UK .

For visibility, high vis hats, fluorescent bands, those flashing led lights,
Enough ideas to dress yourself up like a Christmas tree here.
http://www.rspp.co.uk/sport-safety-26-c.asp

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Won't keep you warm lol but how about a head torch.

louisewomble

I am a great fan of base layers for running.....they keep you warm without bulking you up! I have several sets as I work outside and wear them under my uniform in the cold weather so get lots of use out of them - as they are not cheap!

A

Anonymous

I plucked up the courage to wear my new "running trousers" this evening.

Courage was needed because they make me look a bit like Max Wall !

I have now ordered a thermal base layer to wear under my reflective top.

Swim ( evolving ! )

Attachments

• max wall.jpg
    max wall.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,381