Injecting in front of new people?

shop

I am only just getting used to testing and injecting in front of other Mums at parties of other children and in public in general. Previously I would eat before I went out and let sugars run high for being embarressed and always refused food when offered. Now I am alot more upfront. I had 2 situations this weekend where I had to inject in public and was surprised how it was not an issue.

Lucy xxx

michellem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I just go for it and inject. If they then say they have a problem, I'll tell them next time and they can leave if they want!

mattr

Personally see it no different to swallowing a tablet or using an asthma inhaler.

On some occasions I might want to be more discreet e.g. a childrens birthday party so I might do it out of view, but not in the toilet.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
New people? No chance! I just can't bring myself to do it... I'd like to though, would make life a bloody lot easier! :D

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
I inject in front of anyone if I need to do my insulin. I eat at my desk at work and as its a huge company I work in, quite often strangers walk along the corridor by my desk. The only time Im wary is with children close by, I usually check with the parent in case the child is needle phobic.

My nieces were watching me inject from when they were 3 and they have no fear of needles and they are 7 and 6 now and they can tell people a lot about diabetes like what you can/cant eat, about making holes in tummy for medicine and they know how my insulin pen works and tester.

I was at a restaurant once and asked the guy on the table next to mine if it was ok to inject in front of his children, he pulled a Novopen out and said "I'll join you!" :)

Being diabetic and insulin dependent is nothing to be ashamed of, its part of who you are now.

Pauly21

I always used to try and hide my injections when at work and out but now i don't bother. I'm still discrete but don't worry about people seeing me inject.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos! Chocolate withdrawal....
I am very used to taking medication in public. I use a nebulizer, which is a type of breathing machine at least every 4hrs, and it's pretty noisy so injecting is nothing in relation to that. I'm a firm believer that we shouldn't have to skulk off and hide like we are doing something wrong, when we are doing something to keep us alive!