does anyone here have diabetes insipidus

fragilethings

I've had Diabetes Insipidus for about ten years now. Mine is due to a pituitary condition - my posterior pituitary gland isn't really there (what is there is too small to produce any hormones). I currently take Desmopressin tablets for my DI, however I've been on the nasal spray and DesmoMelts in the past.

Rycall

I have just discovered this forum. My 6-year old son was diagnosed with Diabetes Insipidus last year so I will be bookmarking this forum for further information, its always handy to hear from others in the same position.

ellybee

My dog had diabetes insipidus! Her pituitary gland wasn't working properly so she was needing to wee a lot and it was like passing clear water as she drank so much. The vet treated her with Propalin (a doggy medication which helped her bladder muscles hold on to the water longer) Desmopressin (a human hormone) and Moduretic (another human medication). We had to be very careful with how much Moduretic we gave her as too much would leave her dehydrated. I used to let her out 2-3 times a night so she didn't puddle in her basket - she hated puddling indoors! We did manage to get her condition under control and she lived for a further 5 years happily taking her medication :D I wondered whether there might be a human kind of Propalin as this helped a lot.

ellybee

The Desmopressin (DDAVP) I had for my dog was in liquid form. I used to cut the needle end off a syringe. add the drops into the end of the syringe then shoot them up her nose. The Vet said to either put them under her tongue or up her nose as they would be absorbed more quickly. Sadly we couldn't get them under her tongue - that was one step too far for my persevering dog! A cod liver oil capsule helped with the medication process - she considered this a treat especially when she managed to sink her teeth into it and all the oil spilled out, YUM! :D

Doc Savage

Evening All

My 1st post :yawn: , Yes I have diabetes insipidus along with Type 2, my first brain tumour was back in June 1987, when they (Southampton Hospital) removed the tumour, along with my pituitary gland, which introduced me to living in the world of Diabetes Insipidus.
I was put on replacement medication for what that fabulous gland does, (but they didn't tell me what it did, and this was the days before the internet)
One medication I was put on was/is D.D.A.V.P which is desmopresin, I started off on having to suck the fluid it in to the tube :sick: , then blow it up my nose, which was fine untill you had a cold (then all I could do was drink gallons of any fluid I could get my hands on and spend the rest of the time weeing :twisted: ).
In 1997 at an Endocrine outpatients appointment, Oh joy of joys :D I was put on the tablet version of DDAVP, this was/is magnificent as unlike the fluid, this goes straight where it needs to work- regulate your fluid intake and output. The problem with the fluid is that its effectiveness tends to vary, due to not all of the measured ammount makes its way to where it works.
Ask your doctor about the tablet version, not the fluid, as your journeys wont have to worked out to be near every toilet in the UK :oops: .
Why am I on here?- One of the side affects was of no pituitary was being put on hydrocortisone tablets to replace the work of the adrenal gland. And what do these little beauties do-raise blood sugars and make you put on weight-Hello Type2- At least theres a great forum here :D

Doc

Doc Savage

RE Key for Disabled Toilets

They are called Radar keys,for the Radar locks.
They can be obtained from Council offices, just ask your council for a Radar key, not sure how much they charge now.

Doc