Tummy Pains

kazmck09

Hi I am new to this, I have a question if anyone can help. My daughter is Type 1 Diabetic 5 years old and was diagnosed at 3, she copes well and her Bloods are usually in single figures, although we have had a few Hypos and Hypers.
she has recently been complaining of tummy pains and her tummy being hot,, I would just like to know if anyone else's child has experienced this and just to see what could be causing it.
Thanks, Karen :D

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another orphan post - bumping up in the hope the mothers of Type 1s can help this new member.

Cheers,

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello.

What insulin therapy are you using ? with your little girl .

Sometimes with levemir insulin you "can get lipid site lumps" that get warm/hot to touch
and can be red raised lumps in appearance.
They can be painful both under and on top of the stomach , injection site area's.

[mine spread to quite a size from just '1' site area]
They got very painful and with the spreading in size I felt it uncomfortably

As per the manufacter's in packaging leaflet it can be a reaction to the preservative
used in the levemir insulin solution .
Insulin users of levemir can have an allergic / sensitivity to the preservative used.

I had to change to another type of insulin as result.
They hurt whenever I moved or bent or turned , clothes rubbed on the lumps and simply
aggravated the already inflammed areas.

I am however unsure 'if' this would be the same case with a pump user ...

If you are really concerned and she is still in pain .
I would seek professional advice to be on the safe side .

Please let us know how you both go on with this.

Anna.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
she has recently been complaining of tummy pains and her tummy being hot,, I would just like to know if anyone else's child has experienced this and just to see what could be causing it
Yes, but my children weren't diabetic. Young children often report tummy pain when they don't feel right, have a pain elsewhere or are even when they are anxious about something and can't describe it properly.

Nevertheless, you can get tummy pains with DKA . I (and I'm not a doc) would think that with normal blood glucose levels ,and in the absence of an infection or vomiting this is less likely. However , I would certainly check ketones for peace of mind.

Really though the best answer is that,If you are worried contact your doctor.

kazmck09

Hi, thanks for your comment's... Anna... My daughter is on Novorapid and Levimer insulins, she has no rashes and doesnt complain when being injected, just tummy pains and saying her tummy hot, we have started to notice it more when she is low. We inject her on both arms and legs, not the stomach area. I'm still waiting on a response from Diabetic Nurse to see what may be causing it.

Thanks

Karen :)

leggott

being low may make her feel a bit shaky and wobbly and give her a funny sensation in her tummy so it's probably that. i would however speak to your DSN to rule out other conditions like ceoliac as being a type 1 diabetic increases your risk of getting this autoimmune disease. In some areas this test is automatically done yearly, although my hospital have now stopped doing them and will only check you for this condition if you have any of the symptoms. They can do a simple blood test which would highlight any antibodies in her blood and if there were antibodies present they would do some further test to give a diagnosis.

serankine

Hi sorry just read your post.
My daughter was diagnosed age 4. She always complained of tummy paind even if her B.Gs were normal. She used to have 'wind' aswell. At our reveiws i kept mentioning it. They kept telling me it was linked ti her being type 1. I read an article on Coeliac which is often linked to being type 1 and pushed for her to be tested after alot of repeated blood tests she finally had an endoscopy. Which then revelled she did have Coeliac Disease. She was finally diagnosed with it May 2012. But she use to cry and say she had bad tummy aches. Hope this helps but coeliac is another auto immune disease and is closely linked with bein type 1.
Hope this helps its worth asking toget checked if the tummy aches continue they check by a blood test.

Charliesmum

Hi, first time posting so I'm new at this, but my son is 6 and he is also always complaining of tummy pains. He was diagnosed 2 an a half months ago but has had the pains for as long as I can remember. He can be in tears most nights with the pain, doctors have been telling me its migraine attacks and growing pains. Now he's been diagnosed he associates the pain with his diabetes, telling school he needs his levels checked because his belly hurts! Finally after so long my gp has booked us in for a scan on his tummy so fingers crossed we get to the bottom of things now. I'll let u know the out come, hopefully it will help in some way .