Hypo's while asleep.....

chandler

I have T2 diabetes which is maintained by insulin,Novomix 30 and Metformin. Whilst my BG levels are not perfect they are around an average of 7-8mmols.Like most people.I suppose,the Diabetic Nurse keeps "pushing" for me to get nearer the "perfect 5".so to speak.However,when I get near to those sort of readings I start to get tremours in my hands.a"thumping "in my chest and start feeling "funny".
Now,I know they are the onset of of a hypo and immediately rectify the situation.
During one of these attempts to reach and maintain the "perfect 5",I awoke in the middle of the night with the onset of a hypo (BG was 3.2mmols). This really frightened me and it posed the question,"What if I hadnt woke Up?".The Diabetic Nurse was supportive but not really helpful apart from eat more supper but then thats not helping reduce my BG is it? Catch 22 sitation I suppose.
The result is. I am now pertrified of going to sleep.I am so affraid that I will fall into a deep sleep and if this happens again I will not wake up (I now this sounds gross) and I will die I my sleep from a Hypo. I prop myself up at night to stop deep sleep occuring but I know this is doing me no favours regarding diabeties and general health.
Am I alone in this? Does anyone else suffer with such fear as this? Please help and advise.

prwilson

I found that as my blood sugar readings came down at first I felt tingles and feeling funny at 5-6mmols or higher, but I gradually adapted and now I only start feeling the same at 2.5-3.5.

I was scared too of what would happen when I was asleep, and obviously you don't want to allow it to go too low. What I find though is that if my blood sugar is under 3, say, that I wake up or can't get to sleep in the first place. When I that happens I do a test, and have something to eat if necessary.

Hope this helps.

prwilson

You could try a small amount of a complex carbohydrate before bed - maybe a nice slice of granary bread with a bit of spread. That should release the sugars relatively slowly and hopefully not affect your blood sugar too much, but give you a bit of insurance against hypos.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello Chandler.

You can try nibbling 2-4 'small' crackers pre-bedtime .
[this is what I do - 'if' my night BG level check is running on the lowish side ]
After my evening shot of insulin .

This will add a few carbs into you , so if things did take a bit of a dive ,
the carbs sugar release - would keep things steady above hypo level .

I mean eat just a little carb amount enough just to keep your levels
steady in deep sleep [as this is when you are most concerned with in your OP]

As prwilson says in the post above it will give you enough to release sugars slowly
and give you some reassurance protection against hypo's.

Hope this helps you worry less and sleep better :thumbup:

Anna.