Link between poor blood sugar control and emotions?

Sparklythings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

I have never posted before, but read the boards and use the information and advice on here alot!

I was just wondering whether there is any link between poorly controlled blood sugar and emotional well being? I find it difficult to explain, but I find myself very tearful and unable to cope with things as well as I used to. I acknowledge that I have alot on my plate at the moment, and I know that stress can affect sugar control. But I just wondered whether there was anything to show that it can work the other way i.e. high blood sugar causing terafulness and feeling unable to cope with things?

Are there any articles I can read on this?

Many thanks
Sparkly

Defren

I don't know of any articles, but try Google, there is likely to be something. I know now from personal experience stress certainly pushes up BG. I have had some mild stress the last couple of weeks or so, and my usually very well behaved BG has been all over. I stopped testing for a while as I think seeing the high levels made the stress worse, hence vicious circle.

Welcome to the forum Sparkly - Jo.

Zedar

I'm surprised nobody has been forthcoming with information in the past three months. The link is well-established. Just for starters:

RESULTS—Speed of information processing, working memory, and some aspects of attention were impaired during acute hyperglycemia. Subjects were significantly more dysphoric during hyperglycemia, with reduced energetic arousal and increased sadness and anxiety.
From: Acute Hyperglycemia Alters Mood State and Impairs Cognitive Performance in People With Type 2 Diabetes
(http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/10/2335.full)

Additionally, the Endocrine system, regulated by the pancreas, gets switched on by stressful events but an impaired pancreas might not be able to release insulin to give the all-clear and the adrenaline and cortisol continue to rise unabated. When I was first diagnosed, I was swamped by anxiety. The briefest of encounters with a disagreeable stranger could have me freaking out for the rest of the day.