How to use dexcom CGM sensor over 7 days?

VickiT11979

Hi all,

Don't think many people will be able to answer this, am hoping Chas C reads it! I've got 2 free dexcom G4 sensors as a trial to use with a loaned Animas Vibe pump, and am wondering how I can get them to last for more than the 7 days suggested by the manufacturer.
The pump will alarm & say "sensor expired" after 7 days use, and the rep & manual say I need to remove it. I've heard that they can last longer than this though, and want to try this.
Is it as simple as confirming the expired warning & then going to "Start/Stop" & pressing the button for "start new session"? Then waiting the 2 hours for warmup & entering the 2 BG values for calibration?

I've already taped over the sticky stuff with micropore to try to get it to stick for as long as possible.

Thanks for any help.

Vicki

Petey

From what I can remember you have to end the sensor session - but don't remove the sensor!! - and then tell it you're starting a new one, with the same sensor. You then go through the same startup procedure and calibration steps. Tudiabetes.org has loads of tips in the Dexcom users group so may be worth a look.

sofaraway

It works fine to do that, I also had 2 sensors and wanted to try and get extra time from them. First one got 7 days as the site was sore, second sensor got 10 days. was still accurate but the sticky had gone.

Did you find having CGM useful?

VickiT11979

Yes, very, especially while I was away on an all-inclusive holiday last week - I was eating more than usual and some quite different foods, and I could see the effect & make tweaks to my diet with it. For example, I started off the week having half a grapefruit & half a kiwi, followed by a fried egg & bacon, but realised that caused a spike, so changed to having an omelette & bacon first & the fruit afterwards, and that seemed to avoid the spike, as the fat & protein slowed the digestion of the fruit. I even managed to add some bread to it without any major problems.
I'm currently on day 12 of the first sensor & it's still very accurate. It was quite out for about 48hrs after I restarted the sensor & I thought I'd need to remove it, but then it got back on track. I've been very impressed with the accuracy in general, it's usually within 10% of my finger stick readings.
The sticky is peeling at the edges, but it's not bad enough that it feels loose, and that's after a week of going in the pool most days & 2 showers a day. I used micro pore on top for the first 5 days but nothing else since then. I'm nervous about keeping it in after 14days, but might risk it if it still feels comfortable.
The only thing is, it does eat battery life very badly. I've just had to replace the new battery that was put in the vibe pump 12 days ago, whereas in my 2020 pump a battery would last 4-6 weeks. But as the batteries are supplied free by animas to me, that's not too much of a consideration.
I'll probably post a full review after the end of the trial, or after I've tried the Medtronic system as well, if that happens.