Holidays

martina

Hi everyone, I am just wondering how other parents cope in the holidays.I always find it really hard to control my my daughters blood sugars.For some reason in the holidays nothing I do seems to work.This xmas my daughters blood sugars were constantly high,regardless of extra insulin. I kept her carb ratios what they always were and although she was careful with what she ate nothing has seemed to work.I was just wondering if anyone else struggles with the holidays. I am also up and down alot during the night either correcting the levels or giving more food.No matter what I try the blood sugars are always high at 11pm and need to be corrected. I am now finding that when I check again the correction does not work. I am on my own at the minute and Im just finding it hard. as I always worry about the next hb1ac.

elainechi

i dread the holidayscas regards to diabetes. my daughter is on novomix 30 so twice a day only..this is due to compliance.. but holidays she up late in the mornings .won.t eat.....out with friends eating sweets and crisp...may test may take insulin....its really hard to cope with but shes 13 and thinks shes invincible xx

Spearmint

I actually find the opposite, my daughters levels are much better and more stable when she is with me for weekends and holidays!
I don't know if that is because i can keep her activity levels more consistent or because i know what she's doing so can make small changes to adjust.

I do know that a lot of children need more insulin at weekends and holidays though.