Hypoglycaemia in bulimics /anorexics

Divya

Hi there,could somebody please answer -What is the replacement for glucagon in patients who have less glycogen stores like bulimics/anorexics/athletes/alcoholics etc?quick answer would be really appreciated
Thanks

PetiteSJ

Hi I was bulimic with anorexic tenancies for 9 years if I had a hypo I used to drink a small glass of milk or a milky cup of tea which got me out of the hypo I don't know if there is anything you can give someone with an eating disorder as they will probably feel that 'guilt' only when they realise that they are not well & are ready to get better then you can rebuild their glucagon levels I hope this is some help :grin:

SJ x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Divya

Cheers for your reply....it's really helpful...I was wondering if you know if somebody passes out due to hypoglycaemia what could be the treatment as glucagon which is the drug given in these circumstances does not work
Ps I hope your getting along fine with your treatment:)

PetiteSJ

I'm doing really well now thank you :smile: my fiancee is also type 1 he's passed out from a hypo in the past & the best thing to do is give them a glucogen injection if there isn't any available to hand unfortunately it's a case of calling for a paramedic/ambulance if they are semi conscious try & get some (really vile eww :lol: ) hypo stop into them they may not like you for it after but it's a **** sight better than being in a coma & it's not always a happy ending when someone goes into one!

SJ x

Divya

Thanks guys...:)
So in the hypothetical scenario that someone who has anorexia/liver disease and has no intact gag reflex(totally unconscious),we give Iv glucose?
Justification- the website points out glucagon won't be effective in young children/cachexia/liver disease etc..
Guys please correct me if I'm wrong..x

PetiteSJ

It's not advisable to give someone anything to swallow when they're unconscious as there is a choking risk so a glucogen injection or IV is the best option but as always in an emergency situation if in doubt call for a paramedic/ambulance I've had diabetes since I was 6 years old & my mum always could get my brother & myself a glucogen injection prescribed I don't know if there have been changes to that :?: I can understand if someone with liver problems may have issues as that is where the glucose reserve is stored I think that if you look on the diabetes.co.uk website there are medical professionals you can ask questions not sure how long it takes to get a reply but may be worth a look :grin:

SJ x

twinkle1980

Hiya if you Google hypoglycemic coma anorexia nervosa you will find several reports including PDF case studies for patients with liver complications.

I'm on my mobile, so can't link, sorry xx

From a very quick scan, it seems that iV nutrition (including glucose) is the common treatment along with careful monitoring of liver and extra support when necessary. It does seem that severe (coma inducing) hypoglycemia is rare in relation to eating disorders, however this presents the problem that no "typical" treatment protocol has been established. Sadly in several case studies the patients died.

With regards to oral (or ng) nutrition, It seems to be a catch 22... The liver needs the nutrition to recover, but the body needs the liver to be functional in order to use that nutrition... Therefore iv treatment is recommended.

Hope that helps x