reaction times on low blood sugars

victorhill

hi
just like to say .yesterday morning i done a blood sugar 3.4 so thinking fast and at home got out my lucozade took
a glassfull about 7 fl ozs also as a steady backup 2 rich tea biscuits . then just to check AFTER 4 MINS BLOOD SUGAR HAD RISEN TO 3.8
then ten minutes later gave 1 unit of insulin via pump
then before lunch blood 8.1 so all good on reflection i took my sons dog for a walk so i had not made allowance for that ..

so what i will say lucozade has saved the me crashing out many a time always have a bottle n the car while driving

have a good day thanks for reading this take care vic ex palingswich trained 1960

alaska

Are you going low every now and again whilst driving Vic?

Pleased you got your hypo sorted out relatively quickly after you noticed it was low.

Ed

bethan90

As said above, you should not give a correction following hypo. I have been advised no correction doses for 18-24 hours. I don't know how it works if you are on a pump.

Also, I have been told you only need 50ml of lucozade and then wait 10 minutes before retesting to see f it's come up. THEN if it's above 4, have the biscuits/banana/cereal bar.

It is hard waiting 10 mins when you're shaking and have a fuzzy head, sweating, blurry etc etc but it has helped me so much since having this technique explained to me. I used to go really high following a hypo, as I ate too much to get out of one. Then I'd correct, and end up low again.

Just thought I'd share that with you, but everyone's body is different I know. Also, I agree, lucozade is my saviour and I buy it in multipacks now to keep under the stairs. Always some lucozade on hand if needed and is v convenient to just have a quick few sips to get you out of a hypo!