sugar alternative

Steve08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newcastle United
I am type 2 i use a sugar alternative and would like to know are these new plant sugars ok to use or is there too much sugar in them?

Nike69

I have read that Stevia is okay but I don't use it. I recently bought a bottle of Agave (not sure if spelling is correct). Its from a cactus, looks like honey and is supposed to be great. I am scared to open it. I recently tried raw chocolate made with agave and it was lovely and didn't push my numbers up at all.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stevia is a natural leaf that's 200 times sweeter than sugar, hence it also brings greater yields .
Its brilliant stuff, not cheap, but a little goes a long way!
It's a great healthier option in comparison to candarel spoonful for example.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Steve08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newcastle United
Thank you for replying i will bear that in mind when i have more info

isotsha

Has anyone tried Sweet Freedom? It has a lower GI and Fructose than Agave. I used to use Agave and changed to Sweet Freedom and have noticed the difference.

oskanoears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
high blood glucose!
I use xylitol as its natural and find it to be a great replacement in cooking etc as well as tea and coffee. It
Doesn't have the same chemical aftertaste as the others and doesn't have the stigma and links to cancer and other health issues.. Available as total sweet from sainsburys and waitrose.
Cheers andy

bharat546

I am type 2 diabetic since 2008. I wanted to know if I can use Splenda for making sweets. I use splenda tablets for tea and coffee.
Is this harmful? What is the best alternative for making sweets?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I use Stevia, which I find has a good flavour. I have a purer form and Truvia and the new green pack of Hermesetas. Stevia has been used in Japan for deccades!
i don't use Agave. It's got loads of fructose! also it raises blood glucose. It's not that different from Maple syrup, which I also don't use. I ALWAYS read the info panel on any new product. Incidentally the Agave plant grows in southern Spain and is a weird looking thing. I think it's a succulent rather than a cactus. You can look at it on Google Images
Hana