Today's paper

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all was wondering if anyone else has read the headline of the daily express today?
A very good report to do with metformin and cancer. But being a type one that injects I was surprised to see a picture of a lady injecting in to her arm. Is it just my ignorance or is the media once again giving the wrong information?
My understanding is that metformin is taken as a pill and injecting in the arm is not recommend.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
RichardJ said:
Hi all was wondering if anyone else has read the headline of the daily express today?
A very good report to do with metformin and cancer. But being a type one that injects I was surprised to see a picture of a lady injecting in to her arm. Is it just my ignorance or is the media once again giving the wrong information?
My understanding is that metformin is taken as a pill and injecting in the arm is not recommend.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hi RichardJ ,

Oh dear - this will send out the wrong illusion and impression to those who do NOT know metformin is taken
as a tablet medication .
Seems Diabetes is heavily associated with injected insulin medication portrayal by the media .
[given this visual picture displayed]

This is certainly painting a distorted visual picture to the public blurring the real facts of metformin medication .

Neither correct nor a positive visual image to the public readers of the paper . :thumbdown:

This just highlights how much of Diabetes education and awareness 'is' sorely needed .
So all persons 'know' the real facts and differences of treatments and routines,regimes available.

Anna.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
catherinecherub said:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/384682/Diabetes-pill-beats-cancer-and-costs-just-2p-a-day

Where's the picture of the lady injecting :?:

Anna.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't see any injecting pictures in the on-line version. Maybe in the paper itself.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It'll be a stock photo. They probably did a seach in their image library or "diabetes" and that was the first image that came up.

Nothing to do with ignorance - they'll go with the image that'll sell the most papers.