Cure for t1?

tasha

Has anybody got any more info on the news reports for a possible cure for t1?

Only info I can manage to find is following this link (except I'm not sure how to add a link!)

http://www.fiercebioresearcher.com/stor ... 2008-11-18

Been reading some very exciting talk about possibly seeing this within 12 months! No need to spend so long in clinical trials because it's an already tested drug.

I can't believe no ones talking about this! :D

ChezMorgan

Dislikes
Peppers , Spiders, War and people who think they are better than me, we are all equal !
I used to get excited when i saw things like this, run to my GP and say " when is my turn "
It does say "were able to eliminate symptoms of Type 1 diabetes" I suppose thats totally different to eliminating type 1, but still worth a :mrgreen: and lets hope they carry on with the good work and that it reaches us in time.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hello tasha,

I'm just racking my brains to think of something that doesn't cure diabetes in mice. :D

We promise to start whooping and cheering wildly when they start curing people.

Regards,
timo.

witan

This looks like bad science, abominable reporting and all sponsored by the drug company trying to find new uses for ageing products (allegedly)

SilverAndEbony

it looks like GOOD science to me very badly reported!
At the early stages of research like that they aren't announcing a cure - just a possible avenue of research and a bid for funding.
Who else is likely to fund drug research? Are you prepared to put your hand in your pocket to add to the millions needed to fund a drug development project? Especially as most potential drugs never make it to the market. I used to work in the pharmaceutical industry and know that drug companies are just s like any other. They are in the business of making money. They just choose to do it by making drugs and other products. Some employees are involved in research 'for the greater good of mankind', but mostly it's a job they quite like and, for some, satisfies their inquisitiveness.

witan

OK so perhaps Bad Science was a bit strong - but suspect all the same.

Why were they using two Cancer drugs to treat diabetes using their side effect of immune supression? Surely if their research was to understand if immune supression can slow the on-set of T1 there would be a whole spectrum of immune suppresants to check out first.

It all just seems like they were jumping in on tests with these two drugs on an off chance.

But of course we can only see what the reports tell us...

tasha

Being a scientist myself, I understand that this research is bias. Remember though, their are many treatments that have been found like this! Thalidomide is now used to treat leprosy.

What I'm surprised about is how the reporting of this differs across the Atlantic. Looking at the US sites, this was headline news. I know if you look at sites aimed at diabetes you will find many reports like this. The difference with this one is how it's more mainstream-the nightly news report. The yanks seem quite excited.
Over here-there is hardly anything!

Yes, it is all probably going to end up being a dead end. But what if...?

SilverAndEbony

Thalidomide was originally used to treat leprosy. They found it as a result of it's use that it reduced morning sickness. It is still just about the best treatment for leprosy so it is still prescribed in to treat leprosy, but only for men or women who are not able to bear children. Sadly ladies with leprosy take the pills prescribed for other people. So children are still being born with the problems we associate with thalidomide.

Immuno-suppressants have been investigated to see if they can be used to treat any of the many autoimmune disorders, including diabetes.

bonerp

I think any potential cure is good news and something to get excited about. Lots of drug trials end without success but some very occassionally come through.

I'd happily grow a(nother!) tail to be cured of diabetes. This last trial has resulted in minor side effects and mainly only occur during full moon.

Paul :lol:

tasha

Re: thalidomide.

I know a little off track, but my understanding (and that of the science GCSE syllabus I have been teaching), thalidomide was originally a sleeping pill. Doctors noticed that it also cured morning sickness in patients they were prescribing it for. Unfortunately, we know the consequence of this. It has been more recently found to help treat leprosy.

My point was that there are many drugs that were originally used to treat other conditions and are now used for other things.

Back to the cancer drugs-my only concern is the potential side effects (obviously as cancer drugs, they may have some very nasty ones).
Lets just hope that the media in the US are flashing up a potentially exciting opportunity for us T1s and that it leads to something concrete for us to benefit from.