Check Your prescriptions!

JMidd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I was recently diagnosed with having Diabetes (Type 1). Anyway, after leaving the hospital I was given a prescription letter to be taken to my GP, so that an actual prescription could be drawn up and taken to my Local Pharmacy. A few days later, I came to pick up my prescription. They had given me the wrong format of insulin injection, While I was in hospital, they had given me two pens (not pre-filled); A Novopen Echo and a Novopen 4. Both of which use 'cartridges' to provide the insulin. When I came to pick up my prescription, I didn't check exactly what they had given me (It was the correct type of insulin, but in a pre-filled pen rather than the cartridges the Novopens need). I went back later and told them that I needed the cartridges not the prefilled pens. Turns out, my GP had changed the prescription from the cartridges to the prefilled pens :shock: (I'd assume to save money).

TL;DR: Make sure that you check what you're given when picking up a prescription from the Pharmacy. Also, once you take a product from the pharmacy and have left the premisses the CAN NOT take any of your products back.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i was given the wrong test strips today i intended on taking them back tommorow and asking to swop them, maybee i shouldnt bother

Geocacher

I've had so many problems with the surgery making mistakes that I am now in the habit of checking what I'm given before I even sign for it. I've even requested that my repeat falls on the day of the week when the surgery is open late.

If it's wrong, and the surgery is still open, I get it sorted out immediately. If not, I make a note on the prescription to show what I collected and didn't collect and take photocopies to show the surgery what they got wrong. And I wait in reception until they sort it out. They would rather tell me to come back in 48 hours, but why should I inconvenience myself that much for their error?

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
JMidd said:
TL;DR: Make sure that you check what you're given when picking up a prescription from the Pharmacy. Also, once you take a product from the pharmacy and have left the premisses the CAN NOT take any of your products back.

Thanks for this helpful advice, I had no idea this was the case but I guress it does make sense with many of the products as they cannot tell if something has been stored correctly or even messed about with!

gemma486

They should be able to take back medication they would just dispose it safely they obviously couldn't swop it for the right medication you would need a prescription for that but they can take back meds that you can't use or old medication

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JMidd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
gemma486 said:
They should be able to take back medication they would just dispose it safely they obviously couldn't swop it for the right medication you would need a prescription for that but they can take back meds that you can't use or old medication

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yea, seems a little silly that they'll take your old medication but not if you bring it back because someone's made a mistake.
But, Looking on the bright side, I've got those prefills as backups incase I forget to reorder my prescription