Erratic blood sugar readings

I was diagnosed about 3 years ago with type 2, and until recently my blood sugar readings have been fine, with HBA1c's in the 5 -6% range.

Recently I have noticed that my toes have become numb, and my vision is sometimes blurred. I decided to test my blood sugars more often, and have found that they fluctuate between 3.6 mmol/l before food and 18.1 mmol/l two hours after food. These readings are very different from my previous usual readings of between 5.0 and 6.9 mmol/l.

I am 65 years old, and also suffer from severe heart failure which means I am mostly wheelchair bound and cannot exercise. I take 500mg Metformin twice a day, and have not changed my diet recently, which is regarded as very healthy.

Does anyone have any idea why my readings should have changed so dramatically, and what should I do about it? I only see my diabetic nurse once a year, and she is virtually impossible to get hold of. My GP is hopeless when it comes to diabetes.

prwilson

Numb toes and blurred vision are possible signs of high blood sugar and 18.1 is a pretty high reading. Diabetes is a chronic condition - meaning it typically gets worse over time. I would keep testing regularly, perhaps keep a note of what you're eating, and book into see your GP or diabetic nurse, they may want to increase your medication.