Ideal Menu For Type 2 for the day?

A

Anonymous

Dunkels King said:
Gezzathorpe, that's what I am thinking. I just need to pluck up the courage to try it now. Out of interest, when people talk about things like 30g of Spaghetti/rice has so many carbs, are they talking cooked weight or dry weight ? 30g of cooked rice is probably about a dessert spoon full !

Hah! a dessert spoon of pasta ... food fit for a king! I know .... it seems very precise. I suspect that it means uncooked so you are not weighing the water absorbed as that could vary each time you cook it (al dente etc.). I am afraid I am not very scientific as I don't weight and measure. I just start spooning things out and stop before my 'eyes' want me to!!! That means I get about 2/3rds of what I think I want of everything. That's about as precise as it gets.

I have just weighed approx. how much pasta I eat which is about 50gm. According to my scales, 30gm represents about 40 strands (or slurps!!). Not sure about penne, fuscilli etc. :D

Personally, I find it easier and more convenient to test what I've eaten rather than weighing everything before each meal. If my readings are OK then that's good enough for me. I would rather play 'pickastix' with 40 strands of pasta!

Out of interest, for lunch today I had a sandwich with blue stilton cheese, lettuce, beetroot and tomatoes. The reading was 4.3. There's no point in doing a pre-dinner test after that as I am pretty certain my bG hasn't shot up in between, even after an apple!!

I do hope that others join in with this blog though. As you can probably tell, I am a bit of a 'rebel' in that I am not a low-carb advocate (unless it's by accident), and there do seem to be quite a lot of people who are and who weigh everything all the time.

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
:D THANK YOU SO MUCH to the good people who posted diets for me to crib; being Coeliac & Diabetic is
taxing the brain and all ideas of daily diets that are suitable are really helpful - thank you please keep them coming in xx :crazy:

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
norahcowpe said:
Firstly reverse diabetes diets don't work. I found this one in the press and it is now known as the Newcastle diet.

Here is the press release for the Newcastle diet study:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press ... ZJhJye84pk

7 of the 11 participants in the study remained free of diabetes. Here's a quote from that press release:

“To have people free of diabetes after years with the condition is remarkable - and all because of an eight week diet"

As I understand it, the study was a response to the observed effect that after stomach restrictive surgery many patients "lost" their diabetes. It is now thought that this was their body's response to the new restricted diet you have to have after the surgery.

Regards,

Mike

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My food today:

breakfast - a bowl of kelloggs bran flakes with semi-skimmed milk (its usually 2 weetabix, but I fancied a change).

lunch - a tin of mackerel in tomato sauce and 2 ryvitas

tea - pork with mixed leaves and branston pickle

Mike

kellibabi

I was diagnosed Type 2 approx 3 years ago. I have NEVER been told to be careful with carbs! Probably one of the reasons I constantly have a ruddy headache. I'd check my levels but have been told I don't need to (saving £ on testing strips methinks!). No wonder I'm totally fed up - conflicting information from people who are supposed to be healthcare 'experts'.

A

Anonymous

kellibabi said:
I was diagnosed Type 2 approx 3 years ago. I have NEVER been told to be careful with carbs! Probably one of the reasons I constantly have a ruddy headache. I'd check my levels but have been told I don't need to (saving £ on testing strips methinks!). No wonder I'm totally fed up - conflicting information from people who are supposed to be healthcare 'experts'.

Unfortunate story. Are you at least being 'screened' regularly, e.g. HbA1C etc.?

kellibabi

Yep - every 6 months.
Sugars are still high (no wonder!) & I'm being put onto Bydureon in a couple of weeks.
I get the feeling that if I'd been given good advice re: carb counting, it might not have come to this.

A

Anonymous

kellibabi said:
Yep - every 6 months.
Sugars are still high (no wonder!) & I'm being put onto Bydureon in a couple of weeks.
I get the feeling that if I'd been given good advice re: carb counting, it might not have come to this.

I'm trying to look on the positive side for you. Now you have been prescribed a drug and screened there can be no question of you being recognised as a diabetic. You could still push for a meter anyway as it seems madness to leave you for another 6 months after starting a new treatment. Also, if you can 'wangle' a meter, there is nothing to stop you from doing the carb-count anyway as it will help further and you might even be able to 'forget' to take the drug for a while to see what difference a change in diet makes. A bit subversive, I know, but no one else seems to be helping you very much.

Not knowing your circumstances, I don't know if you could afford a meter, test strips and lancets ... against NHS principles to spend but it's feasible. Of course, you would have to take your 'diet' seriously and make the effort, to make it worth while. You may then end up with the ammunition you need ready for your next 'checkup'.

L

Luna21

I do watch my carbs, I admit, but not to an obsessional level. I have tried brown rice, and so long as I have a small amount, I seem to be all right with that too. I imagine everyone is different though.

I just could not live without having tasty food, as I can't drink due to medications I'm on, and I don't smoke, so food is my pleasure or I thought it was......Only now, although I'm a bit more careful about how much and what I eat, I still want something that tastes good.
I eat loads of salad too, but sometimes nothing hits the spot like a stir fry or a good curry. :oops:
Even so, I've still managed to lose weight, and all my tests have come in much lower, so I guess I'm doing something right.Where I have cut down is in eating less bread, no biscuits, and sweet things are only a rare treat. I can give up those IF I have a decent meal.

As I understand it, so long as your post prandial levels are below 8.5, although of course lower ones are probably better, you are eating OK, and your glucose levels aren't too bad. Mine are normally in the 6ish range after 2 hours so I'm happy with those.

As for curries etc. I use a mixture of chicken thighs stripped from bone (for flavour) and turkey or chicken breast, but I make it with pork and beef too. I use masses of vegetables....Cauliflower, red and white onion, red and green peppers, courgettes, carrots, one small apple, peeled cored and chopped, any green veg I have handy, plus chopped garlic, and a tin of tomatoes. The more veg you add the further it goes too, if you are cooking for a family, and they honestly can't tell the difference when it's all been cooked down.

I brown everything, with a teensy little bit of olive oil, add curry powder to taste and a few spoonfuls of any good curry paste, ( your choice) and half a teaspoonful of easy chilli, although this depends on your taste buds. Then I chuck it all into the slow cooker with stock made from a stock cube or one of those new stock pot ones.
I'm sorry I don't do measuring when I cook, it's all down to how it looks and feels while stirring the concoction! I'm desperately thinking of anything else I add, but nothing comes to mind right now....

I have found that if I am careful with the amount of liquid, I really don't have to thicken it with anything, though you could dust the chicken/turkey in cornflour before you saute it, if you are OK with flour. I cook this for hours and hours in the slow cooker.

If you are cooking this for other non-diabetics, you can stir in some mango chutney before you serve it, as it lends a nice sweetness to the curry, obviously not so good for us though! :wink:

Sorry I can't be more specific than that. I used to make a mean chicken and cranberry curry, but that is a definite no-no now with the high sugar content.

Bolognaise sauce I make with lean minced beef, onions, mushrooms, grated carrots ( it gives sweetness) red and green peppers, garlic, smoked bacon pieces, which is OK, even if you are watching your weight if you only use a small amount, but it does gives a lovely smoked flavour, courgettes, and again I now throw in more veg than I did when I cooked this recipe before. (I used to dislike courgettes but I find I can't really taste them in this dish and they melt into a lovely sauce.)

Saute all the veg and chopped garlic in a little olive oil, remove from the pan, add the bacon and mince and brown. Add some good stock,mixed herbs, a tin of chopped tomatoes, and all the vegetables. I like to cook this slowly for quite some time, to get the full flavour, and the vegetables well cooked.

I do have a little brown rice, and occasionally a small amount of pasta with the bolognaise, but to be honest, I would prefer a larger plateful of the curry myself and have a slice of my Burgen bread with it instead.

I have absolutely no idea how many carbs are in the dishes, :oops: but apart from carrots which are slightly higher, and the apple, I'm sure it's a pretty healthy meal even for diabetics, especially if you can leave out the thickening agents.

PS Good strong stock and a long cooking time really is the key to a rounded flavour. :thumbup:

L

Luna21

I had a lovely breakfast this morning...very tasty and a change from Burgen toast or porridge.

I had strawberries, a kiwi fruit, a dessertspoonful of good quality raw porridge oats, and a couple of tablespoonfuls of natural no-fat yoghurt. (Lidl does one called Linessa fat-free 0.1% natural yoghurt and it's really nice.) I also added a small amount of truvia sweetener.

Very yummy, especially if you hanker after something a bit sweeter for a change, and low carb too!

kellibabi

I have a question re: lowc carb diet - when reading labels, what do I count - grams of carb or grams of carb that 'sugar'?

A

Anonymous

Luna21 said:
I do watch my carbs, I admit, but not to an obsessional level. I have tried brown rice, and so long as I have a small amount, I seem to be all right with that too. I imagine everyone is different though.

I just could not live without having tasty food, as I can't drink due to medications I'm on, and I don't smoke, so food is my pleasure or I thought it was......Only now, although I'm a bit more careful about how much and what I eat, I still want something that tastes good.
I eat loads of salad too, but sometimes nothing hits the spot like a stir fry or a good curry. :oops:
Even so, I've still managed to lose weight, and all my tests have come in much lower, so I guess I'm doing something right.Where I have cut down is in eating less bread, no biscuits, and sweet things are only a rare treat. I can give up those IF I have a decent meal.

As I understand it, so long as your post prandial levels are below 8.5, although of course lower ones are probably better, you are eating OK, and your glucose levels aren't too bad. Mine are normally in the 6ish range after 2 hours so I'm happy with those.

As for curries etc. I use a mixture of chicken thighs stripped from bone (for flavour) and turkey or chicken breast, but I make it with pork and beef too. I use masses of vegetables....Cauliflower, red and white onion, red and green peppers, courgettes, carrots, one small apple, peeled cored and chopped, any green veg I have handy, plus chopped garlic, and a tin of tomatoes. The more veg you add the further it goes too, if you are cooking for a family, and they honestly can't tell the difference when it's all been cooked down.

I brown everything, with a teensy little bit of olive oil, add curry powder to taste and a few spoonfuls of any good curry paste, ( your choice) and half a teaspoonful of easy chilli, although this depends on your taste buds. Then I chuck it all into the slow cooker with stock made from a stock cube or one of those new stock pot ones.
I'm sorry I don't do measuring when I cook, it's all down to how it looks and feels while stirring the concoction! I'm desperately thinking of anything else I add, but nothing comes to mind right now....

I have found that if I am careful with the amount of liquid, I really don't have to thicken it with anything, though you could dust the chicken/turkey in cornflour before you saute it, if you are OK with flour. I cook this for hours and hours in the slow cooker.

If you are cooking this for other non-diabetics, you can stir in some mango chutney before you serve it, as it lends a nice sweetness to the curry, obviously not so good for us though! :wink:

Sorry I can't be more specific than that. I used to make a mean chicken and cranberry curry, but that is a definite no-no now with the high sugar content.

Bolognaise sauce I make with lean minced beef, onions, mushrooms, grated carrots ( it gives sweetness) red and green peppers, garlic, smoked bacon pieces, which is OK, even if you are watching your weight if you only use a small amount, but it does gives a lovely smoked flavour, courgettes, and again I now throw in more veg than I did when I cooked this recipe before. (I used to dislike courgettes but I find I can't really taste them in this dish and they melt into a lovely sauce.)

Saute all the veg and chopped garlic in a little olive oil, remove from the pan, add the bacon and mince and brown. Add some good stock,mixed herbs, a tin of chopped tomatoes, and all the vegetables. I like to cook this slowly for quite some time, to get the full flavour, and the vegetables well cooked.

I do have a little brown rice, and occasionally a small amount of pasta with the bolognaise, but to be honest, I would prefer a larger plateful of the curry myself and have a slice of my Burgen bread with it instead.

I have absolutely no idea how many carbs are in the dishes, :oops: but apart from carrots which are slightly higher, and the apple, I'm sure it's a pretty healthy meal even for diabetics, especially if you can leave out the thickening agents.

PS Good strong stock and a long cooking time really is the key to a rounded flavour. :thumbup:

I was feeling quite lonely on this site till I read this. Below is an extract of what I wrote elsewhere.... as I tend to eat the same 'repertoire' of around 12 recipes or so, I haven't tested myself for about 4 months, but I did it for a week out of curiosity. I also don't worry about things like cornflour and happy to have a curry (sit-in or home-cooked) as I am not bothered by an occasional, temporary 'blip' ..... here goes ....

Extract ...

I have listed below my evening meals for the last 7 days.I haven't a clue about portion size etc. but as a rough guide, each portion would be about 2-3 ladles full. My bG tends to reduce by about 1.0 every 20 minutes or so (how's that for being precise!) and so I do not feel that I am in danger of damaging persistent 'highs'.

Pork curry, peas, carrots, tomato juice, rice, cauliflour, courgettes 6.5

White pasta, courgettes, carrots, parmesan, tomato juice 5.7

Turkey stuffed with ham and cheese, double-breadcrumbed, brocolli, fennel bulb 6.3

Smoked haddock, cauliflour, boiled potatoes, bechemal cheese sauce 6.2

Pork loin steaks stuffed with blue stilton, red lentils, courgette, carrots, bechemal cheese sauce 6.0

Lamb steaks, cherry rice, broccoli, gravy (bechemal with soy sauce) 5.7

Sausages, sweet potato mash, cauliflour, baked beans 7.0

I feel I am 'alone' on this site, as everyone else seems to be low-carbing, setting personal bG targets etc., and I am wondering if I am missing the point or not understanding something?!

L

Luna21

Gezzathorpe, I think you are just lucky that you can eat more carbs than others who are diabetic, that's all. 8)

I can't touch bread rolls for example, they send my Bg off into the stratosphere, yet I can eat a few potatoes and I'm fine. Everyone is different, and that's the rub....what's OK for one, is bad for another.

I do watch what I eat, but at the same time, I want 'proper' tasty food, as otherwise I can see myself falling off the wagon pretty easily in the future. I have great commitment and enthusiasm at the moment, almost 5 months from diagnosis, but if I feel like I am always missing out on good food, it would be far too easy to revert to older habits.

I only check my blood glucose twice a week, or if I am trying out a different food, otherwise if those two readings are fine, I assume, rightly or wrongly that I'm eating sensibly and within guidelines. It would be so easy to get obsessional about food and readings, and I want to control my diabetes, not let it control me, if you see where I'm coming from?

You are one of the lucky ones, so carry on and enjoy your food, so long as you are between the recommended levels, I see no cause to worry. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Luna21 said:
Gezzathorpe, I think you are just lucky that you can eat more carbs than others who are diabetic, that's all. 8)

I can't touch bread rolls for example, they send my Bg off into the stratosphere, yet I can eat a few potatoes and I'm fine. Everyone is different, and that's the rub....what's OK for one, is bad for another.

I do watch what I eat, but at the same time, I want 'proper' tasty food, as otherwise I can see myself falling off the wagon pretty easily in the future. I have great commitment and enthusiasm at the moment, almost 5 months from diagnosis, but if I feel like I am always missing out on good food, it would be far too easy to revert to older habits.

I only check my blood glucose twice a week, or if I am trying out a different food, otherwise if those two readings are fine, I assume, rightly or wrongly that I'm eating sensibly and within guidelines. It would be so easy to get obsessional about food and readings, and I want to control my diabetes, not let it control me, if you see where I'm coming from?

You are one of the lucky ones, so carry on and enjoy your food, so long as you are between the recommended levels, I see no cause to worry. :thumbup:

Thanks for that. Yes, I totally agree where you are coming from. I guess, through reading through other peoples' experience just made me wonder if I am being a bit blase. Anyway, HbA1C blood test in July, so there's no escape. The DN stuck my appointment in for me without asking (so I've just discovered from the online booking system) ... no flies on them! But it does seem I am having a far better health centre experience than many people. My DN is 'gentle' with me and non-judgemental which helps me want to keep being a good boy!! :roll:

L

Luna21

kellibabi said:
I have a question re: lowc carb diet - when reading labels, what do I count - grams of carb or grams of carb that 'sugar'?

I use the total carb figure. Maybe someone else has better information for you re labels.

garythegob

Luna21 said:
kellibabi said:

I use the total carb figure. Maybe someone else has better information for you re labels.
all carbohydrates eventually turn to sugar and affect blood sugars, the "of which sugars" hit your blood almost immediately

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kellibabi

Thank you for the info - was getting myself confused!
Am SO happy to have found this site - everyone is very friendly & helpful & am grateful that people are sharing their own experiences/tips.

:D

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
I am type 2. Lost 4st 4lb ate lots of salads,fruit,vet, if I want biscuits,sweets or chocolate I go sugar free but limit myself to 2/3biscuits or sweets or 2bars of chocolate a day as you are on the throne for hours as to many give you the runs. But I have found having 2/3a day it gives you something to look forward to as a treat. Plus helps you lose weight.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sunshine_Kisses

Andy12345 said:
im quite surprised people can tolerate bread or spuds, i wished i could

Agree! Lots on here that I know would make my blood sugars go nuts - it is funny how different we all are?!

Just cos I'm really curious now; are you all diet only as the original poster asked?

Diagnosed Type 2, 22nd Feb 2013
Hba1c 7.5
Three month trial of managing through diet & exercise - low-ish carb, pescatarian and attempting to become a runner ;-)

Sunshine_Kisses

FergusCrawford said:
Yes, still diabetic, and if you stop weeding weeds grow back!

Fergus this is my absolute favourite expression I've heard so far in response to the question of whether diabetes can be reversed!! Love it :D

Diagnosed Type 2, 22nd Feb 2013
Hba1c 7.5
Three month trial of managing through diet & exercise - low-ish carb, pescatarian and attempting to become a runner ;-)