Feeling lost!

nixiepixie

Hi Jubblyjo

you are certainly not alone and it's nice to know someone else struggles with erratic blood sugars! My hba1c has always been too high and i really struggle with my blood sugar being low one minute and then sky high the next. the really frustrating thing is when you do the same thing from one day to the next yet get completely different results!! I have recently found out that i am pregnant (not planned) so now i am really worrying about the effect my crazy blood sugars could have on the baby. Trying so hard to stay on top of it now (testing almost every hour just to see what on earth my sugar is up to!) it's so hard. it's nice to know there are other people out there who don't have perfect blood sugars all the time! (been put off this forum in the past as everyone seems to be perfect!)

I do carb counting but i find that the ratio needs to change for some things i eat, normally i do 1 unit per 10g carb plus 1 or 2 extra units. but some foods seem to require a higher ratio than that. I try to eat similar things every day (a lttle boring i know) so that i can get into some kind of routine with my insulin and hopefully give myself the right amount!

Insulin wise i am on novorapid 3 times a day and lantus at night. but i'm starting to wonder whether fast acting insulin is the right thing for me as it seems to play into the ongoing problem of blood sugar spiking and then dropping rapidly. Wondering whether using insulin which releases more steadily would actually work better for me. I assume i'm going to be monitored very closely now so hopefully i can talk all this through with a doctor soon!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Try getting hold of a copy of "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" It's a great book and might wwell explain to you why you have the problem of poor control and how to solve it.
Hana

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nixiepixie I wish you luck with the doctors please let me know how you get on! I have been a bit steadier the past few days though just had a bath which seems to be bringing on a hypo! Got that fuzzy head feeling coming on! For some reason anytime I have a bath it lowers my sugar! Do you think if I just had a bath everytime I ate I wouldn't have to inject? Ha! If only :) thanks for your post though its so so good knowing I'm not alone!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

taffy_63

Hi, I had a similar problem to you in that I would go to bed on a good BG and wake up through the roof and the dsn kept telling me I was suffering with the 'dawn phenomenon' and to increase my evening levemir. I regularly tested at 3am but my sugars were fine and the health professionals just wanted me to take more and more insulin. I eventually spoke to a nurse who was happy for me to use a continuous blood glucose monitor, and when I returned the monitor to the hospital there was a mad panic because my sugars dropped so low at 1am that the meter couldn't read them - and the monitor was attached for 6 days!! I suppose what I'm saying is that we're all different, and we are the only ones who have our best interests at heart!! It certainly gives 'looking after number one' a less selfish connotation. I also never wanted a pump because I didn't want to be attached to a machine - using the CGM changed my mind immediately - it may be worth thinking about if you're unsure. The pump definitely sorted me out - if you're offered one and find you don't like it, you can also give it back! Take care and keep posting - after all this is the only place you can talk to so many diabetics who know exactly how you feel.

lottie3

Hi there

I completed a DAFNE course a couple of years ago and although it takes a while to get used too and seems like even more time having to think about your life style food wise etc, it really does help in the long run. Push your medical people to get you onto it asap. Good luck