Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesley r

Re: Type 2's : What was your fasting blood glucose in a morn

What is a normal reading for blood glucose on metformin x4 a day. Eating low carbs. But having very high readings my normal is 5 or below. I thought highs were just as dangerous as lows?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sameer

140 in the morning !!! It should be 110 !!!

Newly diagnosed taking insulin novomix 30 , 21units in morning and 17 units at night , have issues in late night snack very lazy always get high sugar in morning from 130 to 140

Jung the foreman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes

15.6 but I dont understand the point of this thread.

LittleWolf

As someone who is not diagnosed diabetic, this has been insightful and gives me a benchmark to compare myself to. You're looking for 4s? Sounds like trying to catch a unicorn to me.

I go for a fasting test next week but wonder if I'll slip through the cracks, be labelled a hypochondriac and put on the 'ignore this patient' blacklist for good.

My morning readings lately have been anywhere between 5.5 and 9 (normally 6.5) with a one-off of 19 and go over 10 pretty much every meal. If I happen to test at 5.5 next week then they'll really tell me to shut up and stop bugging them at the surgery... Would rather not wait until the higher end of those numbers becomes the average >_>

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

4.7 this morning, though had a 4-0 the other day, most days it tends to be from 4.7 to 5.9.

Finzi

LittleWolf said:
As someone who is not diagnosed diabetic, this has been insightful and gives me a benchmark to compare myself to. You're looking for 4s? Sounds like trying to catch a unicorn to me.

I go for a fasting test next week but wonder if I'll slip through the cracks, be labelled a hypochondriac and put on the 'ignore this patient' blacklist for good.

My morning readings lately have been anywhere between 5.5 and 9 (normally 6.5) with a one-off of 19 and go over 10 pretty much every meal. If I happen to test at 5.5 next week then they'll really tell me to shut up and stop bugging them at the surgery... Would rather not wait until the higher end of those numbers becomes the average >_>

LittleWolf - you are a stronger woman than me if you are not even a TINY bit tempted to eat half a weetabix before you go (NOT advice, BTW!)

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 4.5 and 5.5 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

A

Anonymous

LittleWolf said:

Is your fasting test actually a glucose tolerance test? You would have been asked to take a bottle of lucozade or something with you (don't think that's provided on NHS :( ), then return to the surgery 2 hours after drinking it for a re-test. That should decide your situation one way or the other. Good luck!

LittleWolf

Just a fasting test. After repeatedly being denied tests through appointments and reception. I was hoping for an OGTT as it's after eating not the morning I usually find myself ill, tired and a cranky b*tch in double figures. That I want to fix.I mean I'm 110 lbs do I really have to be on a super-restricted diet just to stay in range? Even then under 6 makes me feel Ill too.

Lol Finzi, nothing incriminating said. I would hate to pass the FBG then be sitting there over 10 again later in the day >_>

Err anyway this morning was 6.5 again after a couple hours of puking. Think I just ate something weird yesterday or my BC pill though.

A

Anonymous

LittleWolf said:
Just a fasting test. After repeatedly being denied tests through appointments and reception. I was hoping for an OGTT as it's after eating not the morning I usually find myself ill, tired and a cranky b*tch in double figures. That I want to fix.I mean I'm 110 lbs do I really have to be on a super-restricted diet just to stay in range? Even then under 6 makes me feel Ill too.

Lol Finzi, nothing incriminating said. I would hate to pass the FBG then be sitting there over 10 again later in the day >_>

Err anyway this morning was 6.5 again after a couple hours of puking. Think I just ate something weird yesterday or my BC pill though.

What I would do is to take a bottle (1L) of original lucozade with you and ask them if they would carry out an OGTT and, if they refuse, ask why. By the time you get to the surgery and have used up energy with the travel and possibly through stress and frustration, your bG could possibly be lower than when you normally test, which will not help.

LittleWolf

Funnily enough when I rang to request the test I mentioned I'd been emailing (harassing) one of the GPs with my readings and turns out he had ordered a HbA1c last night. Mentioned I would be leaving early tomorrow morning to go to Somerset and asked if I could just come in today. Receptionist said to come in immediately.

I havent eaten since about 7 yesterday evening as I've been sick all morning, but glad I got the HbA1c done. Even if it took many attempts to get blood out of me and my arm still aches XD

If I get prescribed Metformin, fingers crossed it will sort out my polycystic ovary syndrome AND help stop the numbers all over the place and grumpy tiredness.

Of course I know i have to do my part and watch what I eat still... I was 6.9 by the time I got home/now. Should I wait a bit to have 'breakfast'? I think my stomach has settled but don't want to go too high when I already feel run down and dizzy from the blood draw.

PaulNicholls

HI there, I haven't been on here for about 5 years and have just joined again.

I'm mid 40's, dad of four - own business, extremely busy and diagnosed as type 2, 5 years ago (despite having had diabetic episodes for a couple of decades). I'm pretty sure I just wasn't picked up properly - even after telling my doctor I was diabetic for many years, which is ironic bearing in mind I'm a Solicitor dealing with Clinical Negligence cases amongst other things.....

Anyway, my testing is rubbish. Awful. Useless. If I'm 9 it's low. I was 15.8 this morning. I don't drink, I'm careful what I eat, and have around 30 units of Levimir of a night. My levels yo yo and I'm fed up of it. The only thing that seems to have a real positive benefit is exercise - hard exercise. So, after another miserable review with the Doctor this morning, I'm set and about to try to bring the levels way down.

So, in short, my levels are terrible - even if I don't eat of an evening. Anyone else have the same thing?

A

Anonymous

I suggest you do try to eat something even if it's naughty on this occasion. What's a temporary spike among friends:)

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only

Good luck, Little Wolf. Glad they agreed to those tests. Hope it goes well.

LittleWolf

Hi Paul,

I hear you, and like you I'd been having 'episodes' for a while caused by high and low blood sugar which I only pinpointed after just going ahead and buying a meter; sometimes you have to be that annoying hypochondriac to be heard and had I not done that, well I'd still be complaining 10, 20, 30 years down the line.

Janecee, I know you and I have been in the same boat. Instead of nagging the doctor every couple of weeks when you manage to get an appointment, try emailing them daily where all your complaints are in black and white and eventually they won't be able to ignore you. 6 months of asking for blood tests by phone or describing symptoms in the doctor's office- nothing. 3 emails down the line- blood test the morning I called to book it! Good luck on your journey to getting your condition seen to and hopefully fixed whilst we're still on the lower end of diabetic numbers.
Thanks for all your support guys.

I'll stop derailing the thread now lol

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

elviscole said:
1thing I have started to do is put a tablespoon of cinnamon on my porridge in the mornings, that and the diet seem to be having a big impact on my sugar levels

Did you mean tablespoon?

If so, do a Google search on "Dangers of Cinnamon" and form your own opinions.

I found this quite easily:

http://digitaljournal.com/article/323339

Cinnamon has the potential to cause several dangerous medical side effects because of the coumarin it contains. Amounts normally used could cause serious health issues.

Commonly used amounts of cinnamon may cause adverse health effects due to its content of coumarin, according to a new study in Norway published in the journal Food and Chemical Toxicology. Coumarin is toxic to the liver, is an anticoagulant (it thins the blood), and causes cancer in rodents. The Norwegian researchers established a new Tolerable Daily Intake (TDI) for coumarin of 0.07 mg per kg of bodyweight per day. By using cinnamon on oatmeal or other cereals just a few times a week, it’s estimated that the TDI in children and adults can be greatly exceeded. Researches stated that even a few weeks of ingesting high amounts of coumarin can be dangerous to our health.
Another group of researchers had previously proven that the absorption of coumarin from Cassia cinnamon is almost the same as that absorbed from isolated (pure) coumarin. Thus, we can rely on the TDI for coumarin to measure the risk of coumarin ingestion from cinnamon. This study was performed on humans, and was published in the journal Molecular Nutrition & Food Research.
The type of cinnamon used might be part of the problem. There are two main types of cinnamon, Cassia and Ceylon. The Cassia cinnamon powder has much more coumarin than the Ceylon type. It’s hard to detect which type is Ceylon if you buy the powder form, although Ceylon has a more subtle flavour. But if you buy cinnamon sticks, the Ceylon bark will have many thin layers.
Cassia cinnamon should only be used sparingly, as a very light sprinkling, and not in teaspoon amounts. The safer option is to use the Ceylon type.

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/article/323339#ixzz2WxqTwutN

Status
Not open for further replies.