Coping/not coping

EmmRoseTat

Diabetic12345 said:
Just wandering if anyone nows what drink is best for a diabetic to go out clubbing on

I find now some kind of mixer and spirit combo. Swap between a sugary mixer and a diet, coke and diet being my choice. My favourite drink is amaretto and coke:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Well you're not alone, because you've got this motley bunch going through it too with you ;)[/quote]

That makes me feel so happy hearing that!! So much comfort from you lot. So odd since don't actually know each other though! But it's nice to talk to people that don't know you personally but know what your going through :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

penti_uk

I'm so glad I found this thread.....

I was diagnosed with Type 1 about 3 weeks ago (eventually) and although it's still in the early stages of sorting out my insulin levels etc I have found myself in the similar position of others, that is seeming to cope on the outside but really not coping that well at all.

I work a really stressful job (which I had to take a pay-cut to keep), have issues at home with a nuisance neighbour, but am lucky enough to have a close family and a decent circle of friends. My friends, and family to a certain degree, have always relied on me as the "rock" they can all lean on, sort their problems out and generally be the "go to guy". Now that the shoe is on the other foot I'm finding it very difficult to open up to any of them and share how I'm feeling about this condition.

To be honest I had initially put my diabetes symptoms down to stress and only reluctantly went to see the doctor. Good job I did !!!

With all the stresses I've been under the diagnosis has maybe tipped me over the edge of what I can deal with on my own. My problem, I believe, is that I don't want to appear to be weak in front of others, having been the strong one for everyone in the past? Completely irrational I know but the human psyche is a strange beast.

It's good to know, or at least assuage my doubts, that other people have the same or similar issues to me and that there is a place to talk about this..... Thank you :)

QuirkyBit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Andy12345 said:
for no reason in particular?? no you have a very good reason, try to stay strong but remember its ok not to be ok, just dont hold it in as said find someone to talk to if not, talk to us :) im "only" t2 but understand not coping and the importance of talking, good luck x

Good advice. It has taken me 25 years to final admit that I hate my diabetes and it makes me angry. Before I "just dealt with it" and bottled it up, because it was the only thing I knew (diagnosed at 2). Everyone thought I was fine and I convinced myself I was. Don't bottle it up like I did, it will catch up with you eventually.

Try to talk about it with family and friends, you may be surprised at how supportive they will be. I've found that talking about it, even with non diabetic's, can help a lot.