Hello I'm new

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried to imagine what that would be like for a diabetic trying to control blood sugar. I gave up on that but read on Wikipedia that if you are "ill" you don't have to fast. Is that true?

Lucyturner

Be careful. I have discussed this with friends at work who do Ramadan, and they all day the same that they would try but if it made them I'll they would have to break the fast. If you are having problems controlling your sugars then you could make yourself very ill and also create possible long term damage. I understand that this is your religion and I'm aware of the reasons why you do it but you have to think of your health first.

Lucy

QasimH

Assalam Alaykum Ramadhan Kareem,

As a diabetic you want to partake in fasting which is only natural but remember if it going to have a detrimental effect on your health then it is discouraged in Islam.

However if you want to fast and think you can stick it out then Inshallah here are a few tips,

Eat slow releasing carbs and avoid fatty and fried foods, test your sugars regularly and drink plenty of fluids preferably water. You will find it difficult as you are going without food or drink for a long time. Try too conserve you energy if you can especially when it's hot.

Hope that helps.

Peace.

SimonClifford

If you're type 1, a fast is an excellent exercise, it'll show if you've got your basal insulin right. However, remember that health ALWAYS matters, if it goes above 10mmol, correction is needed & below 4, some food's needed, and the fast abandoned until everything's under control again.
Another day, another adjustment to basal and try again.
It sounds like this time of year is a reminder to all T1s of all faiths, we'd all be better for fasting some.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App