Hello everyone

amabanana

Hello :)

My name is Clare. I do not have Diabetes but my younger sister was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes 2 1/2 years ago and I have been using Diabetes.co.uk for that length of time to gather information and to try to gain an insight into what she is going through and how I can support her. She was 21 when her Diabetes was diagnosed and struggled with it's management at first but seems to have it under control now. Over the last 6 months my family has noticed a dramatic change in her personality. She lives in a different part of the country so we do not see her on a daily basis but when we do see her she is like a different person. I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar or was able to give me any advice or information

Thank you for your time,
Clare x

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has she gone into denial mode, where she's thinking not doing any more tests, eat what I want to eat which is causing her sugar levels to up and then not compensating or bothering to inject her insulin. If her levels are high it could change her mood and how you see the change in her.

amabanana

Thanks for the reply. I have noticed that she never seems to inject herself or do regular blood tests. I have a friend who has had type 1 diabetes from an early age and does them all the time. I put this down to her not feeling comfortable doing these things around other people whereas he has been doing it for so long now he's confident to do it in public? She does not like to discuss her diabetes or the treatment she has for it. She says she feels that people don't accept her for who she is and she has started to push people away.

The most dramatic change in her personality has been that she has started to recall 'events' from her childhood which she genuinely seems to believe are real but which are not some we have no idea where she has got the idea from others are mixed up. For example she asked me if I remembered when she knocked her front teeth out rollerblading. She has both her own front teeth but is adamant they are plastic, our father knocked his front teeth out in a rugby match when we were younger is it possible she is getting the 2 things confused?

Any advice would be great!

Clare x